Sign in to follow this  
Robbo149

VR6 cam sensor & trigger wheel probs

Hi all,

been having some probs with the cam sensor on my VR. I keep getting cam sensor errors on diagnostics, so have now had 3 new ones with no cure. So I had all the wiring checked out & that's all ok. I've checked to see if the trigger wheel is still there (after having a recon head fitted a few months back) & it is. So is it possible that the trigger wheel could be faulty/damaged? Also how is the trigger wheel attached? is it just a push fit? (there seems to be 2 locating holes), or does the cam sprocket have to come off? Does the trigger wheel have to be fitted in a specific way in relation to the cam position? (it looks as though it would fit 2 ways, 180 degrees 1 way or the other)

Thanks chaps,

Robbo

When you had the wiring checked out, did you / they check for intermittent connection/dry joint/short or was it a continuity beep test?

I ask because the 12V supply for the CPS comes from a common rail shared by all the injectors, located under the inlet manifold. I had a problem with an intermittent injector not firing but would buzz out ok back to the ECU, read correct resistance across the injector and would fire when using VAG-COM output tests. I took the manifold off, re-soldered the common 12V rail connections and problem solved.

I suggest you try splicing another 12V supply to the CPS (black/yellow wire) and a direct -ve (brown/black?) to the battery, then see if your fault comes back. If it does, it's not the wiring...

Cheers Blue Nothelle, I'll give it a whirl. Would it be ok to run the 12v direct from the battery (+ve & -ve) ? or does the 12v supply have to be switched via ignition?

Cheers,

Robbo

Anybody any suggestions for best place to run an alternative 12v from for this cam sensor wiring test? I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to electrics, don't want to blow anything!

Cheers,

Robbo

Apologies for bumping this thread again, but I could really do with some help on this one... anyone?!!

Cheers,

Robbo