Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Running a new car in!

Crazy. A guy I work with is about to go and pick up his new car later on this afternoon - a dark blue Mini Cooper S.

So I casually say "Its gonna suck having to wait the 1000 miles or so to run it in before you can have a bit of fun in it" to which he says "Ah i'm not bothered about running it in.. will just enjoy it straight off and get the car used to going fast!"

Its crazy - I dunno if I am just old school or something as I have heard people say from time to time that you apparently don't have to run in new engines. But the handbooks still state that engines need to be run in, and i'm not really one to argue with that.

It does long term damage does it not? I can't imagine spending 16k on a new car only to be damaging it internally from day one!

Engines don't need running in any more mate as tolerances are much tighter than they ever used to be.

VW gave the keys to my Mum for her brand new 1.4 MK5 Polo, waved her off and said "See you in 20,000 miles" :shock:

I wouldn't redline it fresh from the forecourt, but I wouldn't treat it like an antique either or the rings will never bed in and it will be dog slow.

K

So you'd say take it easy for the first month or so?

This is what you get from never owning a car from new I guess!

new (not recon!) engines don't really need running in anymore... In fact, the evidence is slowly building to prove that they actually last longer and perform better if used properly from day 1! Engine and machining technology has moved on sooo far so fast that manufacturers just leave the running in clause in as a get out... also to stop every fast car/bike being written off by people jumping on one and ragging it from the outset before they've got to know how it handles... ;) :lol: