Sign in to follow this  
Andy T

Matrix recall / summer bypass mod idea?

Was reading a post on the yahoogroups corrado forum the other day, about the corrado heater matrix recall.

It said that the risk occured when driving at high speeds/high temps for sustained periods, i'd not heard that before, guess I assumed they could just burst at any time/any style of driving.

Does anyone know if VAG dealers can still check a database to see if your car requires the matrix recall, and whether it had been done? Do 1992 corrado's need the recall? I had to replace the matrix in my mk2 golf and get the recall valves done, but it sounds horribly more difficult job in a corrado and I dread ever having to do it! :cry:

Since we don't really use the heater in the summer, would it be a good mod to plumb in a link pipe between the matrix hoses, with in-line valves, so that the matrix could be bypassed just by opening one valve and closing the other? Then the risk of bursting the matrix could be reduced in hot weather/long fast runs etc. by keeping the coolant out of it, which might extend its working life too....

I'm seriously thinking about doing it, are there any drawbacks though?

I mean, the matrix would still have stationary coolant in it, would this cause any problems? e.g. corrosion or airlocks?

I think I would have alot more confidence in the car if I knew that the matrix wasn't being used when its not needed!

Opinions please guys ..... 8)

Bypassing the matrix is possible, as long as you just connect the 2 pipes/hoses going into the matrix to each other so that circulation of coolant is still possible.

Otherwise would also like to know whether VW still do recalls, especially for US-spec Rados :roll: ?

Tempest

I seem to remember putting up a thread on the Corrado recalls, and pasting information about who to call at VW UK only a couple of days ago...

Can I suggest you use the SEARCH!!? :)

I seem to remember putting up a thread on the Corrado recalls

Erm, yes, you're right, it's my Alzheimer kicking in again :lol:

*goes off and has a look *

Tempest

Bypassing the matrix is possible, as long as you just connect the 2 pipes/hoses going into the matrix to each other so that circulation of coolant is still possible.

Yeah thats kinda what I mean't, just a neater method that allows switching between the bypassed route and the 'matrixed' route. Could even set the valves 'half and half' so the heater warms up a little during spring/autumn weather, but has less pressure running through it for safety 8)