Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigben

Bought some Passat rear handles and locks today, but...

Basically they fit fine and look cool but they don't open the doors.... the handle mech is not pushing down on the lock mech enough and therefore its not clicking and as a result not opening the door... any ideas why this is. They are the right handles as they are off a G reg passat.. I'm puzzled! Any help would be really helpful!

You got all the right bits and pieces chap, you need to do a few things first though. Grab a pair of mole grips, and bend the striking pin down a litlte bit. Then unscrew the white adjust a fraction. Basically you need to play around with it so you can make a better contact. It will work, just needs a bit of playing around to crack it.

HTH

randal

no no no dont try and bend the striking pin on the handle it will break!! ( gauranteed) as its cheap metal if anythhing bend the lock mechanism as that isn't so weak, on mine it was set too far forward so the striker wasn't hitting it I just levered it back a notch and then adjusted the white plug on the end of the handle striker and it worked fine. the best thing to do is semi fit the handle but just leave it out a little so you can peer through into the door to have a look where everything is located and adjust accordingly it takes a little patience but you'll get there and they do look so much better colour coded :D 8)

Hmm, had no problem what-so-ever when bending mine. Just have to be careful I guess. I did that at the advice of someone else on here, can't remember who - but it all worked out in the end.

Hope you have some success with it. :D

looks like I'll have to do a fitting guide when I fit mine then eh?

yeah might be good, but fitting them is easier, its modifying them without breaking anything, which is a little more tricky...

actually it's finding apair that isn't broke!!

I went to 3 scrap yards an looked at 6 passat and a SEAT Toledo before finding a decent unbroken set.

my only conclusion it that some tw4t of a kid has been riving at them waiting for daddy to unlock the car. (probably because I hate kids)

I went to 3 scrap yards an looked at 6 passat and a SEAT Toledo before finding a decent unbroken set.

my only conclusion it that some tw4t of a kid has been riving at them waiting for daddy to unlock the car. (probably because I hate kids)

lol, I bought mine new. I said to the stealers that I have spent soooo much bloody money with them that I wanted a good discount on a pair of handles and matching locks, they said fine. They were £104 inc VAT normally, I got them for £50 all in... so pretty chuffed really, 50% discount brings them down to sensible money...

hows the car btw? Are the arches going ok??

Hello mate

you just need to adjust the little plastic thing inside to push down then it all works :)

also tried calling you but mobs always off :( drop me a line when u can got a question for you :D

Phat, get the mechs from the scrappy but buy the Handles new from VAG - I got mine for £12 each... (rrp is £15.10)

Hello mate

you just need to adjust the little plastic thing inside to push down then it all works :)

also tried calling you but mobs always off :( drop me a line when u can got a question for you :D

hi mate, my mobs died last week, it was a horrible death, it drowned in a pint of 1664... suppose there are worse ways to go.. lol. Getting a new mob on wed, will give you a ring then.

Also can you explain further what you mean by "adjust the little plastic thing inside" as the plastic thing can't really be adjusted too much?????

ah! death by Kronenbourg... thought I'd done that to myself on Sunday.... :oops: :pukeright: :lol:

I think this in the how to section would be a winner, christ ive done nearly everything to my car myself so i think im fairly competent(changed boxes twice) but trying to get this to work nearly killed me, so DO IT DO IT DO IT :mrgreen: