Sign in to follow this  
Borat

losing coolant

Evening all.

I was wondering if anybody could help me. i have a 2.0 16V C and it seems to be losing water/coolant fairly quickly. I will fill the res to max and within a few days the water light on the dash will come on and sure enough very low levels of water/coolant. NOW, i don't see any leaks, drips or water spray under the bonnet, leading me to believe that the loss is happening whilst driving when the cooling system is under pressure.

Has this happened to any body before and is there anything i can check other than the obvious such as pipes etc.

Thanks for you time .......please help :(

Borat

My son's VR6 had a loss of coolant which was difficult to trace as no obvious drips/wetness.

Eventually found to be a crack in the plastic reservoir.

Worth checking anyway.

PS - I can't watch your programs Borat - they make my toes curl!

You need to check for leaks when the car is hot and the system is under pressure. Obvious care is needed. It might not leak when cold but I guarentee you will see or hear where its leaking from if its loosing it that quickly when the system is under pressue..

My son's VR6 had a loss of coolant which was difficult to trace as no obvious drips/wetness.

Eventually found to be a crack in the plastic reservoir.

Worth checking anyway.

PS - I can't watch your programs Borat - they make my toes curl!

I can second that, the seal on mine (top half and bottom half seems to be weaping whenvery hot)

I would agree about the head gasket. Mine recently went on my 16V, confused me for a while. It didn't show signs that I would normally look for - water in the oil, 'gunk' on the oil filler cap, water out of the exhaust etc. I do about a 90 mile round-trip in mine every day - I was filling it up every morning for about a week or so and looking for leaks etc before the gasket eventually let go. New head set and a head skim and its going great again.

nice one chaps i hope that i can see what is going on. I hope that it aint the head gasket cos i am well skint!! how much is it for a gasket and skim etc???

Not cheap....£100ish for parts, headset plus cambelt and tensioner etc (original parts used), £150 for head skim and rebuild plus 4 hours labour. My head had a small crack which needed a bit of work - possibly you won't need to have this done which will keep the cost down. So, all in about £350 plus the bit for the taxman!

Could "just" be the Heater Matrix, is your passenger footwell wet?. Unfortunately it's a bi*ch of a job, just did mine the other month and you HAVE to remove the dash and associated parts etc.

Just my 2 peneth.

Ads

well chaps i think i have sorted it but need to try it out first. looking under the C the other night there seems to a small leak which i worse under pressure (when the engine is running) and its a little hose that looks like it is shot. its clear water coming out but that is the only thing that seems to be leaking. However, the although when there is water in the water temp light is still coming on and off occassionaly. Whats happening there do you think???

borat

could well be a dodgy sensor in the expansion tank... which could also be part of your leak coupled with a dodgy tank cap seal... ;)

Get yourself a new expansion tank and cap and see if that helps any... they're not expensive, but I would recommend getting a genuine VAG tank rather than a cheaper one as the quality IS better... 8)

it does leak when it has been standing for a while but i think that its a small hose underneath that is the only thing at the moment that seems to be leaking. i will get the part and go from there :mrgreen:

My vr6 leaked from the plastic housing holding the thermostat but it was nt a crack but the gasket between it and the head try a new one and some gasket sealer and lightly sand the the join to remove any residue first.