Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

Sticky Calliper/Upgrade?

Pretty sure one of my brake callipers has siezed. Seems to stick badly after rain. Normally I get a slight noise when I pull away in first- kind of metallic groan/low pitched squeek :? Seems like it's one of the fronts but I'm not sure.

Firstly, how do I tell which one it is?

Secondly, can I sort it without replacing? (looking for a cheap option here :wink: )

Thirdly, if it needs replacing, is it worth using a 288mm golf 3 calliper? If I did this I'd obviously I'd need to do both sides so what bits would I need for the upgrade?

Cheers!

think garages can normally free them off, if not get the parts from some where like GSF and get the garage to fit if you cant.

Would not say its not worth upgrading the brakes much, may as well put that money towards a schrick manifold from what i gather!

As I understand it, 288mm golf caliper upgrade obviously requires 288mm disks too.. plus caliper carriers and new pads. Not the cheap option, I'd say!

As for telling which one it is, the pros use a heat sensor - drive the car, pull up, point the heat sensor at the disk - if one side is hotter than the other it's been binding..

If it's got bad, you can probably tell with the car jacked up, just by trying to turn the wheels. Note that the pad may be still in contact with the disk when you've just stopped (even when you take your foot off the brake) - but one full turn of the wheel should be enough to free it off and it should then roll nicely.

If you've really got a dodgy front caliper (it's usually the rears) then they *can* be freed off, but without overhauling them, it will come back sooner or later.. It may be better to cut your losses and get new ones..