Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigneil

Thinking of selling the RS's for 16's

How can you sell them??!

The RX is a nice wheel but looks way better in 17" - http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12406 - so you'd be back to square one. 16s you need to be careful with design wise. Some can look barely any bigger than 15s and others look slightly larger than you'd expect from a 16, it's all down to spoke design.

What don't you like about the 17s? I felt the car in the link above drove superbly on 17s. Barely any different than my 15s. Sure you do notice the effect of the shallow tyre wall but nothing I would call uncomfortable or harsh.

These are 16" RX2s and look a bit small in my opinion, no offense to Andy T, the car's owner. - http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9749

What suspension have you got? May have something to do with it?

What price would be looking for the RSs and what condition are they in?

Ta

Kev

Hi Kevhaywire, cheers for the response.

I'm on a pretty good set up FK fully adjustables (Konigsport or whatever) dropped 40mm on medium firmness setting.

There is nothing wrong with the ride and will be keeping the suspension

Yeah I know the Corrado's look perfect on nearly any 17 inch BBS rim. Not a 100% sure on the sale of the RS's but a possibility in the near future. The michelins are nearly brand new and the Yoko's are still pretty good, just refurbed them myself if you have a look at the pics on the members page. Honestly not a scratch and will sort the center caps out.

The car was amazing to drive lowered on the 15's then wacked the 17's on, felt slower excelerating especially up hills and the country roads i'm on in Surrey and West Sussex you really notice the difference in the corners. The car understeers and the rear tyres can screach at lower speeds than on the speedlines. If it was suppose to be on 17's they would have done so in my opinion. The guy that sold it to me also said if he got another it would be on 16's. Can't believe i'm considering this after the time I took with refurbing the RS's :(

won't say a definite price just yet.... sorry, I will be swayed if I can see a really nice looking C on 16's although the change over though is down to handling not looks

OK, if we compare the overall diameters of 15s versus 17s - 205x50x15 is 293mm, 205x40x17 is 298mm. The closest 17 to the original diameter is 225x35x17 @ 295mm. You're basically running 5mm more diameter than standard, and possibly a bit more unsprung weight, which explains the car's lack of urge compared to the 15s. MK2 based VWs have *always* felt more alert and lighter on their feet with 15s. It's the classic trade-off of looks versus handling :(

Let's look at some 16s - 205x40x16, the most common size, is 295mm, so only 2mm off spec. 225x35x16 is 293mm, so bang on. 215x40x16 is 289mm, so 4mm under. Better acceleration :lol:

Before you flog the 17s, see if you can borrow some 16s and try them. You might find they're no better.

Don't worry, I already know what price you have in mind :wink:

Keyhaywire - "Don't worry, I already know what price you have in mind"

oh really, you know Ben Taylor? or Radford? cheaky buggers, no just kidding

Yeah that is a very good plan to try out some 16's first. This is only a thought I've been having (although for the last three weeks) So won't say a price and won't confirm a decision as yet.

Think the tyre set up that sounds good from what others have said on the forum is 205/45/16

I really need to see some more pics as there must be some alloys I have not seen. RS's are also a pain in the back side to maintain! although very pretty

Neil,

Pic of Bill Aitken's gem of a VR with 16" RXs.

Might help you visualise the look?

16s are def the best compromise overall, no question. 17s look the best though!

BTW tyre choice and air inflation have a significant effect too. My RS's ride alot better than the RCs I use for the winter. Both use the same size tyre, 205/40/17, only the RCs have Yokos (crap tyre) and the RS's have Contis (pure class!) and the difference is significant!

Asim

Pic of Bill Aitken's gem of a VR with 16" RXs.

Asim

understatement of the year asim m8 :wink: :D :D :D

Thought you'd pick on that Rodders. Your fav VR I seem to remember? :D

oh yeah been so since i first seen it and chatted to Bill at Wroughton Inters 2002.........total minter of a C VR 8) 8) 8) 8) ........and a top bloke that owns it too :wink:

Keyhaywire - "Don't worry, I already know what price you have in mind"

oh really, you know Ben Taylor? or Radford? cheaky buggers, no just kidding

Yeah that is a very good plan to try out some 16's first. This is only a thought I've been

I don't have an *exact* price in mind obviously, but having very very nearly bought a set and after some research into them, they certainly don't go for 3 figure sums with tyres :wink:

Anyway....yeah, try before you buy.

That purple VR wearing the 16" RXs - They look a fraction too small imo. The RX/RC based spoke design needs to be 17" or more, otherwise the spokes look too short.... but that's just my opinion of course :wink:

Thanks for that Asim very helpful. Doesn't make me say wow like a VR on 17's though does it

The tyre presures on mine are 2.2 bar all round - is this right?

The michelin Sports are very good also, had two more on order ages ago and been told another 3 weeks!! Best price I can find the Michelins for is £117 each from my mate at Barons BMW! Good Toyo's Proxes for 16's are £68 another reason for a possible change

Mint RS's with tyres do pass the 3 figure territory Kev. Trouble is trying to find a mint set!! :lol:

I run my 17s on the psi outlined on the b-pillar, by the door strike pin.

Yeah I should have said *mint* RSs don't go for 3 figure sums :wink:

I've seen some scabby, tyreless ones at ebay.de for around the £600 mark....so....refurb costs + tyres = 4 figure sum !

Hi Neil,

Bill Aitken here. Happened to speak to Asim tonight and he told me about this post. All I can say is that your problem is the ride/handling quality on the 17's so I guess you have to compromise somewhere, and that for me was to fit 16's as the handling is what owning a corrado is about for me. Iit has to look good (and I agree it does look better on 17's) but given the choice (and I'm quite happy with the way mine looks) I'm very happy with the way it rides and handles with a 60mm drop at the rear and 45mm at the front on H&R coilovers which is the same as Asim. There's an old saying which is "17's for show and 16's for go and I tend too agree as you can guess but it's all down to opinion and as you'veI said earlier your car seemed much better on 15's. As they say " You pays your money ................". Good luck in your quest.

Bill