Sign in to follow this  
CoxyLaad

FK Coilover questions

I know these have been talked about in the past but I need to know what they are like for certain before I buy some for my car.

What is putting me off is that I have heard reports from a couple of people that they are quite poor quality and they provide a harsh bouncy ride.

I know someone with a rallye who bought the fixed rate damping coil overs and they are awful! the car bounces all over and is severely under damped.

There are a lot of people on this forum have bought them so they must have someting going for them somewhere....

Can I have some objective opinions before i part with the best part of 600 quid

Thanks

Best bet is do what I did, actually try a car with them fitted, I'll happily let you try mine, its on Konogsports, lowered by about 60mm and on 15" BBS

I have the FK Koni coilovers adjustable height and dampering. They are great no bounce or recoil. Be a little careful of cheaper versions as some of them were designed for Mk2 golf and the C is a lot heavy. Talk to John 16vG60 he has fitted quite a few different sets

I've driven a VR with the Koenigsports and I was well impressed with the ride quality, bump absorbtion and handling. I know some people find them a bit much but for a coilover, they're pretty impressive.

exturbo2003, I would be interested in yours but I am in need of a one off set,with vr rated fronts and golf rallye rears.

Kev, what do you mean by 'a bit much for a coilover? whats your motor currently sporting?

p.s. I am the Durham area Mr ExTurbo, where abouts are you located?

And why are you selling them if they are that good?

got mine on the highest setting i can and the rebound needs to be at max to stop it bouncing all the time but back roads at speed are a nightmare and the fronts crash back down

:mad:

Kev, what do you mean by 'a bit much for a coilover? whats your motor currently sporting?

I said some people can find them a bit too much, *but* for a coilover they are vey good. By that I meant historically, COs have always been rock hard and bouncy compared to normal setups, and some people find that a bit much.....

I dunno mate, I found Tom's (VR6) car to be superb with them and I'm not a fan of COs.

His is dropped about 50mm I think and there is slight bounciness on the limit of their travel and I think that's half the problem. Drop them too low and you lose your suspension travel and get bounciness in return.

I've got Koni TAs and H&Rs on mine. I wouldn't use anything else :lol:

funny you should say that - I have decided to buy a set of koni dampers with either H&R or Eibach springs.

I am not interested in changing the ride height every ten minutes, and I am not running 10" wide wheels so they are pointless to me anyway....

My old corrado had Koni top adjustables and Eibach springs and it was fantastic (for the 4 weekd I owned it until it got nicked. :( ..)

Thanks chaps - you have saved me some cash

The Eibachs are slightly lower and firmer than the H&Rs. But one trump card the H&Rs do have is an even ride height. Set the rear koni to the middle slot with the H&Rs and you have exactly the same arch to floor height all round.

The Eibachs tend to make the rear sit lower, as they always used to with the MK2s aswell. You should be able to get round that by moving the rear koni's circlip up to the top slot but I'm sure someone else on here has tried that and *still* run out of adjustment.

Best bet is the H&Rs mate..... you can't go wrong and you will love the ride quality too.

I got them for $1400 USD but i'm sure you can get them for less cause i didn't shop around i just wanted them so bad but their great :mrgreen:

got mine on the highest setting i can and the rebound needs to be at max to stop it bouncing all the time but back roads at speed are a nightmare and the fronts crash back down

:mad:

stuart > sounds like you have a bad set there mate... i have been on lots of cars running these and there all spot on.