Sign in to follow this  
longman

which oil

I have a 1.8 16v j reg and would like to know what type of oil is best to use on the car when giving a quick oil change. i was thinking of using 10/40 semi synthetic?? any ideas which would be best or another grade?

:evil:

I was reccomended to use 15w/40 as it is slightly thicker than 10w/40 and makes the engine sound a little smoother.. I changed over to 15w/40 in the summer and it seemed fine.

But 10w/40 is also just as good.

I use semi synta vws own oil i have always used it and ive had several gtis corrados and so on !

I don't know if you have it available to you but I use Mobil 1 15W-50 but then again I don't drive my car much in the winter.

i use 15w-50 as well, but i don't drive much in the winter and i have a G60. mobil 1 is the only oil i'll use in my supercharged or turbo cars.

l.

I use Comma Eurolite which is a 10/40 semi synthetic which is the recomended grade for my G60 as I'm in the trade it only costs £7 for 5 litresnow thats cheap!!!!!! :D

Isn't mobel 1 bad for the charger???

I always use a Fully synthetic i've found an Elf oil thats the same spec as the uk

vw quamtum silver, seems a great oil.

mobil 1 is fully synthetic. actually, now it says 'new supersynth' on the box. i've been told many times mobil 1 is one of the only things to use in supercharged cars. i've had great success with it.

maybe you have different stuff over there.. dunno.