Sign in to follow this  
redlee

JBL component fitting help required

I'm a numpty when it comes to fitting speakers and have no experience whatsoever, i've bought a set of JBL GTO506C components complete with crossovers and i'm completely stuck, i've taken out the original tweeter and door speaker which leaves the vw block connectors with one blue cable and one blue/brown cable going to each connector, am i right in thinking i snip these plastic connectors off and replace with spade connectors and connect the door wires to the door speaker :?:

The tweeters come ready wired with red+ve/black-ve and you wire these straight into the crossover, which of the two sets of original wires that went to the tweeter now need to go into the in+ve and in-ve on the crossover :?: what wire goes into the w+ve and w-ve on the crossover :?:

As i said NUMPTY, i hope someone can follow the above? any help greatly received?

:oops:

I've recently fitted a replacement set of components myself, so I can tell you what I did.

Of the two sets of original wires where the tweeter is, find the pair that goes back to the headunit (should be one set going down and off to the door, and one set going to the centre of the dash). Cut the ends off these, as these are the ones that need to go to the input on the crossover. You'll need to extend them to reach your crossover I expect - I mounted mine above the shelves under the dash (out of sight) as they wouldn't fit under the new tweeter. Either fit spade connectors as you said so you can plug in the extension wire, or permanently join it there (bullet connector, etc) Careful though, I found there wasn't too much spare wire so it made it difficult to get in to do.

For the other set of wires (that run to the door speaker) either do the same with them and cut the ends off, or leave them as is and get some new speaker cable and run this directly from the crossover to the door speaker.

Now put everything back together and enjoy! 8)

Hope that makes sense. It's not too bad a job I found, just time consuming.

Was very pleased with mine :D until I turned the volume up and found I had a vibration somewhere that I didn't have with the originals. :mad: I've now installed some dynamat (just on the driver door at the moment) and I think it's improved, though not necessarily eliminated the problem. Guess I need to make some further adjustments.

Same size as originals, 5.25 door, 6 x 4 for rear shelves, the sound is better than standard but a bit tinny, this could be down to the fact i have used the original speaker cable, crappy headunit, and lack of amp. Funds only allow one thing at a time :(

the sound is better than standard but a bit tinny

The tweeters settle down after a little while and loose the tinny-ness... ;) 8)