Sign in to follow this  
dgrt

help - blue smoke then shredded altenator belt on vr6

I was coming up a hill after a long run and noticed some blue smoke, after coming over the brow heard a horrible noise and the car stalls. Pulled over and had a look and the grooved altenator belt was in 1000 shreds. The car is being towed to a garage to be inspected tommorrow.

Does anyone have any experience and would know where to look first for the cause..

thanks

Could this affect the timing chain as it was running like a bag of spanners when I stateted the engine after pulling over.

Woundn't have thought so as the chains are on the right hand side of the engine although the fact that the pumps weren't working might affect how the engine runs.

many thanks - apoloigies for my ignorance but what does this belt drive apart from the alternator?

Woundn't have thought so as the chains are on the right hand side of the engine although the fact that the pumps weren't working might affect how the engine runs.

ah but if the ferocity of it siezing/jamming/breaking etc was strong would it not perhaps made it jump a tooth or worse :shock: out timing wise :?:

It appears that the belt tensioner pulley has seized. The garage is installing a new belt etc. today. I don't know what the blue smoke was though?

Blue smoke? Probably the old belt melting...

You don't wanna drive around without your water pump working, so it's a good thing the engine stopped I'd say!

BTW - how much was the new tensioner? The belt is £28+VAT (£18 with discounts).

i've no idea how much the tensioner will be - VW part only - Will let you know when I get the bill !!

Reason I ask is I have heard recently that someone got one for £60 + VAT, which is less than HALF what we were expecting to hear, so it'll be interesting to hear from you.

Total bill for new belt, pulley and something else and recovery was £180. It seems however that the crank seal was disturbed by the shredding so replacing this will be extra.

cant you just replace the bearings in the belt tensioner pulley ?? i'm sure they are just skf bearings ?

did you notice any signs of this going before it went , was it noisy at all , i mean like weeks before ? you would expect the bearings to make a noise to give you warning

I can do a rebuilt tensioner with a new bearing for £30 exchange. thing is, your pulley will probably be f*cked now, so I'd have to see it before I could accept it/