Sign in to follow this  
CorradoWannabe

What to look for as signs of clocking

Guys,

I got my car very cheap and it seemed to have quite a dodgy past! Its a 1991 1.8 16V - but in that time has had 3 number plate chagnes and 7 owners!

The millage was 87,000 when i bought it - but i am suspicious of this.

I have seen MoT certificates that allow me to see that 4 years ago the millage was 67,000 - and the guy that owned it live very close to his work - so i can belive that.. but its the 10 years before that that i do not trust.

What are the common things to look for to try and work out if a car has been clocked?

It used to have VW services apparently when quite new - anyway i can try and get the millage verified through a dealer or something?

Thanks

Mate just get it HPI'd to confirm your thoughts....

There are signs that can be found on a car of high miles but these CAN be hidden... a HPI will confirm if it has been clocked or not... simple.

Does your MFA work 100%?

That often starts to act a bit funny when its been clocked.

The other thing to check is how worn your seat bolsters are, and how worn your pedal rubbers are. If they are totally shot then chances are its not really only got 87k on it.... my 87k 2.0 16v had solid unripped seat bolsters and loads of rubber left on the pedals.

And yes, the Stealer should have recorded the mileage each time the car came in for a service. They should provide you with a copy of this information.

I did the HPi check - and that was how i found out about the previous owners - but it didnt give any info about millage etc :|

You can get that from the mileage regisiter people if you have paid for the HPI.... ring them back and ask for the info on mileage

Very soft seats, VW seat are known for droping foam under the seats on high milage cars, very smooth steernig wheel and gear know, leather will be very worn on high milage gear knobs. the steering wheel has a finish to it, but this wears out. Floor carpets often wear through, but mats prevent this. Under the car will give you an indication too. it should be clean with only ting sign of wear. Check the pedals, pedal rubbers wear, but they are replacable. The C picks up stone chips on the bonnet, but thats easy to sort.