Sign in to follow this  
rolfei

wing mirrors

Howdy,

I'm sure this is quite common but I canny find anything so...

My wing mirror glass is all minging around the edges, its kinda like the reflective bit has peeled off, this looks bad and it is not so good for seeing stuff with.

So I sees some replacment sticky back wing mirror glass in halfords

Will this look crap if I just stick it on or should I smash/remove glass and replace instead of sticking halford glasss on top of old glass? is this even possible I can't see how u would remove mirror or take it apart

My electricy adjust on the wing mirrors dunny work either, complete replacements are well expensive and i have feeling its probably just ceased up with age. any ideas?

cheers

I got a nice tinted blue anti-dazzle set of stick-on glass from Halfords, with built in wide-angle as well. Think it was intended for a BMW 3 series (double check though). It just fitted inside the aperture, not quite the right shape, and can restricts the full mirror adjustment, but I reckonit's plenty good enough, and cheaper than VW. Can post pics if you like later.

Trouble is corrado mirror glas is heated so you would lose that on one side.

Just what i was gonna say, Ex owner of my car seems to have stuck some replacement glass over existing, now until i replace it all, I have no heated mirrors.

I am doubting the electirc heated function is working if the electric adjust function has gone (guess I need to feel up my mirrors and check)

Think I'll go with the 3 series tinted anti dazzle it must look alright if your prepared to take pictures.

Then I'll be fixing the problem and adding a little mod too. The stick-on element was making me think it would all be a little bit blue peter but if it covers the old glass then I'm sure it'll be ok

How you planning to replace it all crazy marcel?

can you remember how much they are kvwloon?

cheers

I am doubting the electirc heated function is working if the electric adjust function has gone (guess I need to feel up my mirrors and check)

cheers

well tbh it shouldn't be connected to the elec.adjustment as the heated mirror glass is switched on/off with the heated rear window

really amazing that enduring scottish winters I have never noticed that, I reckon is kinda thing I would miss if it werent there maybe I'll wait until winter and see.

there`s two little looms for connections on your wing mirrors!

i suspect one is for motors to move and one for heaters!

my heaters work on pass side but the motor does not so independant i think???

I've never seen any evidence of working heated mirrors on my bag o' shite....how do you turn them on exactly?!

*EDIT*...ignore that, just read the rest of the post

My electricy adjust on the wing mirrors dunny work either, complete replacements are well expensive and i have feeling its probably just ceased up with age. any ideas?

had the same problem. changed the switch (£30 off ebay) and bingo! they seem a little noisy when you use them probobly because of age and lack of use but how often do you adjust your mirrors anyway! :)

Oh, mine use to make a clicking noise in the door when i pressed the dudd switch, thats how i figured it might be the switch and not the motors or the wiring.