Sign in to follow this  
dubster82

Updating the old

Hey folks,

After many people telling me i needed new bumpers to fit late spec fog lights and indicators, i took the plunge and bought a full set from the GPC stand at inters. Tried fitting them today......

THEY LOOK FANTASTIC!!!!!

New bumpers my AR$E!! Slight modification needed though. took me a couple of hours. Anyone else could do it much quicker. (I was dodging in and out of the rain and had a visit by a mate in the same time frame! :wink:) It was a piece 0 pi$$ to fit, and tidy up the front no end!

Also decided to get a new grille, as i had the 7 or so bar versions. I'd heard of many different ways to fit these so wasnt sure. I ended up just clicking it into the holes that were already there!!!! All in all, it was quite a productive day for me. Should be sound deadening the car, fittin my new speakers and door builds and doing my headlight loom at the weekend!! :D

Totally, i didnt used to mind my old dull lights cause you dont notice it over time, but when you do it! you wonder why in gods name you never got round to it sooner!!!! Think it must've been a fluke with my grille though, cause apparently, i have heard they are not meant to fit but hey, mine did.

Just fitted my trimsport wiring loom today too. not to tricky at all. a bit fiddly, but isnt everything under the bonnet in a C!!!! Dont know about the improvement yet cause i aint driven it in the dark yet!!!!! :lol:

The h/light mod makes a huge difference, need to see a bigger pic of fogs to see what you are on about with them, mine is a 93 VR so are these the lights you are on about?

Chris

do the later type fogs/indicators site more flush with the front bumper like they do in the later bumper ? if that makes any sense :?

Chris VR6nos, Your right there!!!!!!! Went out for a drive last night and WHOAAAA!!!!! I CAN SEE!!!!!!!!!! :D :) :shock: 8) :lol: :twisted: :wink: :mrgreen: :evilbat: :cheers: :turn-l: :flasingsmile: :thumbleft:

I think the fogs are the same as your. Probably should be anyway. If its late spec. i think all '93 cars were weren't they?

bazgreener, Yes they do sit more flush, giving a more modern appearence whilst looking very clean and neat inthe bumper.

What i used to notice was that when people got they're RS (or similar) bumpers they used they're old lights. And then i started to see some late spec cars using the bumpers, i noticed that they just did the same knowing fine and well that there wasnt late and old bumpers in different styles.

The last straw was seeing Late bumpers with Early Fogs and indicators (John Kerr's nugget yellow C _ due to crash damage). What i had realised was that the late spec stuff used a spacer to achieve the look. After Buddha put up a post about custom lights i noticed that the spacer is in fact attatched to the late spec fog!!!!! :!: and when i saw them on show on the GPC stand at inters, well that was it!, i though sod it, and did it.

Looks cool. Car looks like a late spec car now (i already had a VR bonnet) and my olds ones were shagged anyway...

I'll get some photos up asap.

When fitting, there is a small panel behind the fog that has to be knocked/cut out to make way for the new larger unit, but thats all. Piece o pi$$.

sounds like youre saying that early and late bumpers are the same but they use spacers for the lights... actually, there are subtle differences in the bumper's appearance as well.. 99% of people can't tell though :wink:

Top man Brian,

thanks for the info, my indicators are all grotty and fogs cracked anyway so time for some new late style lamps.

cheers

G60, No, I'm not saying that at all. Im saying the fixings for the lights are the same. I know the bumpers are different, hence my mentions of the late and ealy style bumpers

The last straw was seeing Late bumpers with Early Fogs and indicators

I know that the swage line curls up on the early bumpers and carry's on on the late spec versions. However, did you know that the G60 bumper is unique in the sense that it has vents for the brakes to be ducted. apparently all the other bumpers are closed vents. of course there is also meant to be a vent for the intercooler that probably 99% of G60 owners dont have! :wink:

bazgreener, No probs mate!! if you di it, i doubt youll have any problems, though my VR grille DID go staight in.... :scratch:

So why on earth did veedub do away with the brake ducting on the VR's?

So why on earth did veedub do away with the brake ducting on the VR's?

Easy, they're twits! probably saved them money.

Yeah that was pretty much my assumption.

"Right so we have a G60 bumper with brake ducting that must have positive effects on the cooling of the brakes.......

We now need to develop the VR6 bumper........I know, let's do away with the ducting and make a few changes to the bumper that make absolutely no positive effect at all!!! Genius!!!"

G60 was marketed as a performance machine, performance before comfort

VR6 was marketed as a luxury automobile with power, comfort before performance

i'm puttin an IC vent in v soon... now THAT is what i'd like to know about.... why didn't VW optimize the IC location by ducting cold air to it and cutting away the wheel liner in behind it? seems a step they just left out.. but the 1.8T IC setup is much better, but in the same location. maybe they learnt from past mistakes... :?

G60 - But still, why do away with a feature that will only improve performance of the car?? Where the hell is the positive outcome of removing the brake cooling ducts? Seems ridiculous!

Brian - Still a valid point!!

though the strange thing is that you have to remove one of the towing hook hook covers for one of them to work!!! :? so they werent that good at designing them either!

haha. doesn't make any sense to me! if it were up to me they would have made all corrados 16vG60 synchros... but hey, what can ya do?!! :p

Oh-im confused now.mibby cos its early doors in the morning.So dubster-did you go and buy a new set of early fogs and indicators or a new set of new fogs and indicators (does that make sense).what did you do exactly to make them flush.

Cheers Fraser

Oh-im confused now.mibby cos its early doors in the morning.So dubster-did you go and buy a new set of early fogs and indicators or a new set of new fogs and indicators (does that make sense).what did you do exactly to make them flush.

Cheers Fraser

he bought a set of later fogs and indicators :wink:

Are the indicators not the same as the old ones then? Look the same to my short sighted eyes :wink:

P.s My 16v has the brake ductings fitted as well?

Are the indicators not the same as the old ones then? Look the same to my short sighted eyes :wink:

nope :wink:

you need a set of late style fogs and indicators. the later fogs are mounted on a surround that holds the indicators. the fogs and the surround are deeper and bring the light sets out, more flush with the bumper. checkout http://www.gpcvwaudi.com, fogs are £55+vat ea and indicators are £19+vat ea, p&p is around £10, an expense but a damn sight cheaper than vw(fogs £95, ind £55 :p ). simply knock out the panel directly behind the fogs and they'll fit, routing the fog cables to the plugs was the fiddlyist bit, :roll: the right one was in the corner behind the bumper(jack it up unless you've got spagetti arms!) and the left one was easier with the headlight out :lol: , i also had to trim the outer bit of the indicator aperture for them to fit. well worth the time and effort. my fogs weren't shagged but i can sell them on anyhow. indicators were cloudy, cracked and wet inside!!!! all in all a result, 4 bar grill sets it off a treat, also from GPC :D

I have just done the same mod to mine and as dubster says it is very straightforward. You need the later style fogs and indicators.

Baz