Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

Replacement rear speakers, stealth fit

After getting though 2 sets of kicker 6x4 direct replacements (1st set replaced under warranty, sound good but reliability is shite), can anyone recommend some other replacements?

Used to run 6x9's or 7x10's in old cars but didn't want to butcher the rear shelf this time round. Do miss the mid-range though. Has anyone managed to find some good direct replacement speakers (40wRMS or better), or managed to fit some larger speakers under the original grilles?

I've fitted 6x4 Infinity's in mine which do the job very well. 6x4s are never going to sound fantastic, but for a mid to upper range fill they're ok. I'm happy with these Infinity's. Sorry I don't have the model number to hand but from memory they cost about 50 quid.

just slap some components in powered by an amp and add a bass tube in the boot, dont worry about the rears then........suspect they will only distort anyway due to the 4" diameter trying to handle low frequencies

I've already done a Corrado shelf with 8" Woofers and 1" dome tweeters if you want it? No need to hack yours up :wink:

6 x 4s are a waste of time and sound sh1t, regardless of brand. There's no substitute for size :wink:

On the rare occassions i'm not nailing it the stereo comes in handy. Has to be bloody loud to drown out the VR anyway. :) Have got a 10" sub in the boot, components at the front and a 4x100w amp driving it. Sounds ok, just missing the low to mid range which the 6x9's seemed to do pretty well.

if your fronts are already good then I would suggest a graphic/sub controller upfront to give superior adjustablility......bought mine for peanuts - Kenwood 7 band with sub frequency and level control......Look on e-Bay

There is a common misconception that graphics should not be added as they increase noise, Home H-fi thats true but in cars the benefits of being able to tailor the sound out weight the extra noise.........

Most hi-end HUs come with a parametric equaliser anyway, 5 band minimum usually and as high as 10 or 13 band.

Alpine F1 Status or a Pioneer P9 with offboard DACs is the way to go for ultimate SQ, but I don't fancy having a few K's worth of ICE in my car......

A noise generator and mic is unheard of in that price range...... awesome! Wish I had the cash to buy it :cry:

Mind you, Audioscape use their Scope and offboard noise generator when ever I fancy a tweak..... got a long way to go before I reach the almost flat response curve in their award winning A6 install :?