G60Jet

How To Change the Expansion Tank without draining the system

Okay Well today i had a few hours to spare so i naturally got to work on the C, and did a few things i've been trying to do for months.

Today I changed the expansion tank, copper eased the back of the brake pads and changed the anti squeal plates. At the I also replace my top rad samco hose for the OEM one as my samco was leaking at the t-section

Here is a very easy guide to replacing the expansion tank, without loosing the coolant

You Need

A socket set.

A bottle container, I used a 3l distilled water container that i knew was clean.

Firstly Order and collect the Correct Tank for your C, For My 92 G60 the part number is 1H0121407A.

Step One

With the engine cold remove the small breather pipe from the expansion tank, undoing the clip with mole grips or screw driver depending on the type of clip installed. place this pipe into the container and stand it on the battery (if its a metal container dont stand it on the battery).

Step Two the gross bit.

Remove the black plastic cover on the side of the tank, this pulls upwards to the sky to remove. Remove the expansion tank cap, Now cap the hose connector with your thumb and blow into the expansion tank. This forces the liquid out of the tank into the coolant system and out of the hose, (Not all over the engine and the floor)into the bottle. You should now have an empty expansion tank. The tank can now be removed with the correct deep socket.

Remove the bottem pipe using the correct tool for the clip.

Step Three

Wash your hands Dirty hands and a nice new expansion tank dont mix!!

Step Four

Fit the new tank in the reverse order of removal, replace black cover, and refill the tank with New G12+ coolant (or the old coolant if it was only a small amount). note that if you have pushed out a lot of coolant your radiator with not be full. after filling you may need to top up once or twice after you run the engine up operating temperature and the thermostat has opened. be sure that whenever opening the expansion tank cap the engine is cool as the tank is under pressre when hot.

A quick tip for replacing engine water temp sendors,

On the G60 block, there are two coolant senders housed in the plastic flange, these can be replaced with minimal coolant loose but simply undoing the expansion tank when the engine is cold, and replacing it striaght away. This allows any pressure in the coolant system out, you can now remove and replace the coolant sensors and hardly and coolant will be lost due to the system being sealed.