Sign in to follow this  
Jimbob1970

confused about 1.8 KR mods

I have a blown head gasket on my 1.8 16v.

So, when it goes in to be fixed on Friday I am going to mail order some parts so that they can be used for the rebuild of the motor.

I am going to get:-

a 4-into-1 stainless exhaust manifold,

and a TSR Pack A 16v head. My original head will need skimming at least, maybe more, so I thought I would get a new head.

I was going to keep the standard cams, because I don't want to loose low-down or mid-range pull, in favour of top end.

I want as much torque as possible, not top end bhp.

Is that right, or should I get "fast road" TSR 264/258 inlet and exhaust cams or something similar/better?

What about an inlet manifold? What will that do to my torque?

I was going to keep the original one.

Cheers peeps.

:roll:

which inlet manifold do you have? Are the "bunch of bananas" straight, or do they flare out at the ends? If you have the straight ones on, then you have the better manifold for low down torque, the flared ones give better top end power, at the expense of some low end torque... 8)

Personally, I'd stick with the KR cams, in my experience fast road ones will mean you have to rev the car more to get more out and so loose a bit of low end torque...

Pack A head is a good idea and the 4->1 manifold will help too... I'd be tempted to flow the throttle body and inlet manifold while you're in there so that you have a really nice smooth gasflow through the engine which should aid BOTH BHP and Torque nicely... :)

Sounds like this could be a nice conversion when it's done... 8)

I recently put the 50m set of bananas on my 16V (from a mrk 2 gti) and noticed the loss of low end torque, engine was a bit more revvy - like a Vtec + also noticed the reduction in noise which alone is reason not to go down that route.

K&N air filter might improve that noise factor a bit and as henny said flowing the throttle body helps.

Some of the lads have said good things about bolting the 2.0L bottom end if its torque you’re looking for.

I've heard good things about the kent cams but no experience, and there's also the modded 'KR exhaust cam as inlet cam' option.

I've just fitted the TSR manifold to mine at the weekend, and certainly a difference in the pull..... gotta admit i find some of TSR's prices difficult to swallow - if you've got time i'd look around a bit for comparisons

Re the manifold there is a loss of low end power, but the 50mm manifold provides a kick when you get it spinning to 4500 - 5000 range :D if you want low end grunt stick with the 42mm though

Did anyone notice a difference (other than sound) with the K&N air filter?

Mike did the kent cams improve your torque figures at all?

128.9lbft@5800rpm.

It makes over 110lbft from 3000rpm up.

It feels a lot stronger, but I don't have a standard set of figures to compare it with.

All this without a K&N panel filter as well... :D