Sign in to follow this  
Elboy

Charging a 16v

How hard is it to add a charger to a standard 16v?

Who can do it?

How much?

I assume the engines are the same?

Search for 16vG60 - its quite a lot of work unfortunately, and not commonly done.

turbo-ing a 16V is more common than trying to sling a supercharger on it... Turbotechnics used to supply a kit to do such and Kevhaywire had one of these in a MKII Golf...

If you really wanna sling a G60 onto a 16V, have a word with 16VG60 (John Mitchell... can you guess what he drives? ;) ) or Aposegil (Alex, who's in the process -still ;) - of G60'ing his 2.1 16V engine...)

It's a lot of work, but yields some pretty impressive results... 8)

cheers guys,

i'll check it out but i reakon it'll be too much hassle and expense for little cost effective gain.

Reakon i'll wait and save up for a VR6 or look around again for a for a decent g60. The reason i bought the 16v was because all the g60's i looked at were nails.

my 16v is a great car but i want a little bit more power now.

"Not a cost effective gain" :shock: Wash these words from the forum straight away, you heratic :lol: Have a ride in a 16VG60 powered Corrado before abandoning this project, or making such sweeping statements. The 16v G60 engine has torque by the bucket full, craves to be driven and amalgamates all the best characteristics of both the 16V and G60 engines. So it might take a while and a few quid to complete, but such things are the inspiration of phraises like "the best things in life are worth waiting for" And " is this available with the parashute braking option" . The VW scene is rife with turbo cars, the 16V G60 option is still enjoying an elite niche.

Very sorry my friend, i stand corrected. Never had a ride in one you see, however i bet it cost you a few thousand and the car was off the road for quite a long time? I simply wouldnt be able to afford this unfortunately.

If all of the correct parts were to be collected together before the project commences, then there is no reason that this conversion couldn't be done at home by yourself over the course of a week or so of evenings and weekends... the re-rebuild I'm in the middle of at the moment will involve just about as much work as this conversion if you already have all of the correct pieces of the puzzle to put together... ;) 8)

The cost of John's is slightly over the top as he's done all of the development on his own car so you can imagine the amount he's pumped into it to get it right... :| Having been out in his car though, I must say it only made me want one more than just seeing it did! :D 8) It's pretty damned awesome... :)

Have a word with John to see what kind of price he could do you on a kit for your engine... :)

again to back up whats been said this isnt very hard and if the correct parts are collected before hand the car will be off the road for a minimal time :)

as for mine the reason its taken so long is due to ive been very anal with some parts (exhuast and fuel rail mainly) and ive had a few family things ive had to have put infront of the car this year :(

but if i wasnt so silly wanting to do all the work myself and given the car to a expert like John for example, he would do the work to a high standard and alot quicker than me :D lol you just need to see his car/engine bay to see the quality of his stuff/work :D