Sign in to follow this  
kitharrison

wheel virgin

could someone help please...! I have absolutely NO idea on how to go about ordering or finding a new set of wheels. My current ones are the original BBS's on my G60 but they are very kerbed and wonky.

What size would I need and how can I tell what I'm buying? What do all the numbers mean? Got my eye on those pretty Azev E's but don't know what to order.. will I need to adjust anything...

oh.. it's just a minefield - could some one explain

Ha...funny questions.

first of all if its a g60 you'll need to order 4x100 pcd and a centre bore of 57mm

then depending on the width you'll need to specify offset....

..although normally if you just tell the place your buying from what car it is for they work it all out for you.

too add to what jedi has said...............standard wheels are 6j(width) and IIRC you can get away with 7j or 7.5jwide rims without any arch/clearance probs

100 pcd??? what on earth does that mean? do I order 16" or 17"? and can I have any width of wheel I choose or is there a standard for a g60? I really know NOTHING about all this! only my 2nd ever car - and the first was a Mazda which doesn't count... :?

100 pcd??? what on earth does that mean? do I order 16" or 17"? and can I have any width of wheel I choose or is there a standard for a g60? I really know NOTHING about all this! only my 2nd ever car - and the first was a Mazda which doesn't count... :?

PCD= pitch circle diameter................its the measurement of the bolt-holes(not individually tho) for fixing the wheel onto the car

ALL 8v,16v and G60 C's have 4(holes)x100PCD

and ALL VR6's have 5(holes)x100

100 pcd??? what on earth does that mean? do I order 16" or 17"? and can I have any width of wheel I choose or is there a standard for a g60? I really know NOTHING about all this! only my 2nd ever car - and the first was a Mazda which doesn't count...

PCD is basically the bolt pattern 4 being the number of bolts and 100 being the space between them. its up to you if you want 16" or 17"...both will fit fine. you have to ask yourself why you want bigger wheels...if its for looks go for 17" and if its for handling then go for 16". Tyre size is just as important but thats a completely different kettle of fish

as for width...dont go any wider than 7" as they look naff in my oppinion.

...if you imagine a vertical cross section through the rim, offset is the distance between a vertical line through the face of the wheel (where it mets the drive flange) and the centre line of the tyre. The steering and suspension behaviour is altered if you go too far away from the standard value, which is expressed as a number in mm.

A reputable dealer will know what the standard value should be and advise you accordingly.

Obviously the actual diameter of the wheel and its width are expressed in inches, just to confuse matters by mixing units of measurement. The letter in the width designation, eg "J", refers to the cross-sectional profile of the rim.

You should be aiming to achieve a total rolling diameter (wheel + tyre) about the same as the original, otherwise you will alter the gearing and the speedo accuracy.

Best wishes

RB

Azev E's do look quite good in 7.5" x 16". Stick to 7-7.5" for width and offset (normally designated by an ET number) between 38 to 33 and you will be fine.

What are you looking for for the car? Just to make it look better or are you more interested in handling/ride? Remember you will need tyres as well.

p.s. you dont have a spare centre cap for your BBS do you?