Sign in to follow this  
Ford

Koni Suspension confusion....

Hi wonder if anybody can help who know's their Koni's?

I recently bought a C and in the ad it claimed that it had an adj suspension. Am I right in assuming that on the Koni suspension you can adjust the height simply by turning a knob on the top of the damper/ on the back using a small spanner. What are the obvious signs that it is this type of suspension. Is there a type of koni suspension for C's where you can only adjust the damping and not the height - if so how can you tell the difference? I am a bit confused about the whole thing and a bit of a novice when it comes to susp. and waiting for the tools to arrive so I can try it out.

Currently the back of the car appears to be sitting a bit lower than the front, keen to sort it out. Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers

My koni suspension is only damping adjustable(by a knob on top of the suspension), bit gutted really cause i prefered the lower look it had before they went on.

You can get height adjustable as well, dont know how you tell the difference though.

Koni do dampers with adjustable damping (which sounds to be what you have) and coilovers with adjustable damping. The latter have adjustable lower spring platforms allowing you to alter the height of the car.

Altering the height involves some swearing while using c-spanners to adjust the position of the spring platforms.

Ford, Have a look under the wheel arch at the actual spring. If it just sits on a solid plate at the bottom then they are rebound ajustable only...if the spring is very narrow and sits on what looks like a large nut then their height adjustable aswell.

Gareth - changing the dampers shouldn't affect the ride height if everything else is left alone.

Cheers Mike was thinking that, but the springs have been changed too. Rides a lot nicer now, just prefered the look of my well worn in spax with knackered springs.

there is a plate shock itself that can be moved down to another slot on the shock. you can adjust the height that way. the knob on the top is just for dampening. again, there is a clip on the large part of the shaft (the actual painted part of the shock) you can change which goove it is on to lower or lift where the spring sits on the shock itself.

its kind of hard to explain, but you will see grooves under where the spring will sit on the shock. you can move the clip from the current position and lower it quite a bit.

there is a plate shock itself that can be moved down to another slot on the shock. you can adjust the height that way. the knob on the top is just for dampening. again, there is a clip on the large part of the shaft (the actual painted part of the shock) you can change which goove it is on to lower or lift where the spring sits on the shock itself.

yeah thats on the rear shock, the front are not adjustable

Hi many thanks for that guys, will be giving the suspension a full inspection tonight. I believe that mine are the adjustable damper type only. Not very happy with it at the minute as the back sits lower than the front. Any suggestions? I am considering getting the original suspension put back on the car, esp as I live in Camden and the speed bumps are rediculous! There is a guy down the road that is breaking a corrado and has the original springs. May do a swap or something. How much do you recon the Koni's are worth/how much are they new (damper adj only).

Cheers

could it have rear springs for a mk2 golf fitted? they sit too low on a c due to it having a fatter ar5e than the golf dont they??

if you do have the top adjustable koni shocks on the rear then there should be 5 grooves on the shock. you can adjust the height by changing which groove the ring sits on..

you have to take the rear shocks off to change though.

see pic... see the 2 grooves under the silver plate (circled in red). there are 5 in total..mine was on the middle

if you do have the top adjustable koni shocks on the rear then there should be 5 grooves on the shock. you can adjust the height by changing which groove the ring sits on..

you have to take the rear shocks off to change though.

see pic... see the 2 grooves under the silver plate (circled in red). there are 5 in total..mine was on the middle

Great picture just what I need. Will keep my fingers crossed that I will find those grooves... got to get that ass off the ground, looks weird! Many thanks for advice.

of course it may just be knackered or wrong springs ??

I have a full set (front and back) of standard springs and shocks...i know the rear shocks a very new but im not sure about the rest.

you can have the lot for £60 if you want

i think mine still sits too high and im on the 4th slot down now...only 1 more to go and if that doesnt level it out im gonna have to go for coil overs

The non top adjustable yellows are also height adjustable at the back but only have 3 points for the circlip

There is hope then....

you can have the lot for £60 if you want

Thanks Jedi, will take all the above into account and if I cant adust the back I may take you up on that.