Sign in to follow this  
fernsie

MW / LW Reception Problems

Hi there,

Recently I installed a stereo in my Corrado VR6 (1994).

The car came without a stereo, so I have just pisked up on this problem.

Basically, the FM signal is perfect, but the MW and LW Bands are as good as useless ... it is there, but so faint the car has to be standing still before you hear it, but even then its mostly hiss.

I know Japanese cars for example have a different frequency range, but with this being a european car I ruled that out. Plus I also had a 1994 Golf before the Corrado which never had this problem.

I have been told that it COULD be something to do with the AM aerial.

The AM signal does not come in through the roof aerial, it comes through a small coil type thing ... im not sure if thats on the back of the stereo or inside the stereo. But I was told that maybe that could be damaged and thats why i'm getting no reception.

Does anyone know anything about these ? or have any other ideas as to the problem, so that I don't have to take the stereo out, or back ??

All radio signals come in on the aerial - if its connected. It's more than likely that your aerial is knackered.

Quick test is to connect up a metal coat hanger to the aerial socket - if you get reception you'll need a new one.

If it is bust blaupunkt do a direct replacement so you don't have to take out the whole of the old cable and replace it.

http://www.my-blaupunkt.com/acatalog/ww ... ls_20.html

its the gti flex 270.

99% of the time I don't, but Radio Scotland broadcast the football sometimes only on their MW Channel and one day when trying to tune in to get the latest scores is when I found the problem.

Up here in Scotland (and I think anywhere outside London). MW is the only channel to get Virgin on as well, which used to be good, although I aint listened to it in years. And on LW, they have Atlantic 252 which my sister used to listed to many moons ago, which is the only reason I know about it

Don't know about the rest of you

All radio signals come in on the aerial - if its connected. It's more than likely that your aerial is knackered.

Quick test is to connect up a metal coat hanger to the aerial socket - if you get reception you'll need a new one.

If it is bust blaupunkt do a direct replacement so you don't have to take out the whole of the old cable and replace it.

http://www.my-blaupunkt.com/acatalog/ww ... ls_20.html

its the gti flex 270.

For some reason presumed you meant a Blaupunkt stereo, rather than aerial ... anyway. Confussion cleared.

The aerial I have was stolen straight out of a brand spanking new hire VW Polo, after some swine swiped mine. So I can't understand how its stuffed. And at £40 bucks for a replacement II bloody hope not.

Anyway ... I tried replacing the aerial with a new one I have ... a wee bee-sting show thinger, so wasn't expecting a great signal anyway ... and the MW signal seemed to be stronger, but the MW was still mince.

I will try and get hold of another aerial anyway and see if that improves it. I guess i'll have to take the stereo out the car as well and see if it works in some other car.

Oh ... Vauxhalls have the exact same aerial as out nice wee vw's, so i'd be having a look at your neighbours cars b4 forking out £40 for a replacement :twisted:

The aerial itself will be fine, its the bit on the roof of the car it screws into that will be knackered. It houses some sort of amplifier and this degrades over time.

Hmmm. Guess i'll just have to live without AM stations for a while then. After a wee days jaunt, the MW/LW signals are just as mince with the new aerial. So i'm now on the hunt for the aerial base as well.

And the list grows yet again

my mw, lw and fm reception are great after i removed the knackered waterlogged amp circuit board from the aerial base and by-passed it, better than the reception in my brand new caddy actually 8)

This I presumed would just be one tiny simple little problem ... but even with this I have to start taking the car appart !!

How many regular breakages occur in a Corrado that don't involve stripping the guts out the car ??????

99% of the time I don't, but Radio Scotland broadcast the football sometimes only on their MW Channel and one day when trying to tune in to get the latest scores is when I found the problem.

Up here in Scotland (and I think anywhere outside London). MW is the only channel to get Virgin on as well, which used to be good, although I aint listened to it in years. And on LW, they have Atlantic 252 which my sister used to listed to many moons ago, which is the only reason I know about it

Don't know about the rest of you

I also listen to Atlantic 252khz on LW here in Portugal! Reception is only possible at night though! :D

If you are having problems with amplitude modulation on your antena. Then it´s your aeriel amplifier (built in) that is gone.

You can by pass it just like i did!

I didn´t notice any difference as my Alpine headunit has a special built in tuner. 8)