Sign in to follow this  
mondy

Downside to boost return removal?

I've just done the boost return mod to my G60 but it struck me there might be a fairly big downside to it - when you're accelerating do you lose loads of boost through the hole in the bottom of the throttle body? Logic says you would but I don't remember this ever being mentioned when people are talking about it.

Cheers,

David.

As I understand it - You're not really loosing the boost as this is being vented off anyway but just back into the supercharger. When this is being vented off it is warm anyway and is not want you want going back into the charger. Hence the reason for removing the boost return.

It only ever blows outta the TB, never sucks, and it closes when the throttle is applied, so boost only goes straight thru the TB, never outta the bottom until you let off and iit gets dumped, hence the noise....

the only down side is the butterfly is open when the engine is off and could get damp in winter, or something could krawl in there. I intend to put some mess over mine to stop that

the only down side is the butterfly is open when the engine is off and could get damp in winter, or something could krawl in there. I intend to put some mesh over mine to stop that

humm how long do u think it would stay damp for at engine running temps ?? i wish it would stay damp as would make a denser charged air into the inlet manifold..

Thanks for the replies everyone - I didn't realise there was another butterfly valve on the bottom of the throttle body :oops:

Fitted my Boost Return Kit yesterday :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

It's the best Smiles per pound mod by far!!!

Awesome noise!!!

The only thing that annoys me about it is the high pitched whistle that mine is doing on low revs, though I reckon this is more a slight boost leak as it goes away after more rpm is given, hitting 1bar boost on my MFA which is good. As for the sound, remarkable difference between the G40 'dump' sound and the G60 'dump' sound, the G60 'sounds' for slightly longer and sounds lower than the G40's.

And its always funny as everyone at work thinks my Corrado is knackered when they hear it and therefore slow, until I blow them away, haha, nope its running spot on ma lad! :mrgreen: These are people who were adament that the 2.0 16v C could out pace the G60, becuase its a 2.0 . hmm.. not too knowledgeable these peeps.

The only thing that annoys me about it is the high pitched whistle that mine is doing on low revs, though I reckon this is more a slight boost leak as it goes away after more rpm is given

i think the whistle is normal as the chager produces more boost than the engine can use on part throttle so constantly dumps it to atmosphere and only goes quiet when on full throttle as the boost is being used mine does it too and i dont have any boost leaks (i quite like the little whistles and hisses it makes) :roll:

watched mad max on dvd yesterday and suddenly realised why henny's toothed belt coversion noise sounded familiar its the whir from the interceptors engine 8) :lol:

Boost return kit rocks Im going to do a full recording tomorrow with a Mic and MD player. Should be good (hope the wind guard is thick enough)