Sign in to follow this  
iqtrance

92 G60 USED 5 QUARTS OF OIL IN 2 DAYS!!!!! HELP

I was driving my g60 today even though i should'nt,because my radiator isn't working.And it started to overheat on me.all of a sudden my oil lite came on.I was panicing so i pulled over,and checked the oil.It was bone dry.now i'm hopeing the the piston rings aren't fried but thats probably what i'm going to hear HUH?

I'd say that its doing more than just using it if its used that much in two days. Are you sure its not dumped it all over the road?! Checked your sump to see if its not damaged or something??

If you were burning that much oil, we would see the smoke from here !! (Your reference to "quarts" leads me to think you are in USA). Come to think of it, I would be amazed that the engine was running at all without completely fouling the plugs.

Is there oil contamination in the coolant? (equals headgasket failure).

Generally though, I agree with Jim; to have used that much oil in such a short time you must have a major external leak.

Best wishes

RB

The entire underside of the car would be covered in the stuff if it were pi$$ing out at that rate.

You changed the sump gasket you say. Err, you did refill it fully of course........

And, by the way, what's the problem with the radiator? Not full of oil by any chance? :lol:

Best wishes

RB

why?? is it rare to see an american in here??

There aren't that many American users on here, no. Probably about 5 or 6! And we just sometimes need clarification because there are a lot of different terms for the car parts thanks to the differences in language :)

OK, let's start again.

Do you have an obvious catastrophic oil leak after having fully refilled the engine with oil after replacing the sump gasket? If "yes", the solution is to search that out and cure it.

Are there clouds of smoke pouring out of the exhaust when the engine is running - if "yes", the oil control rings are probably fecked due to having been cooked. Also, check spark plugs. Are they very oily? If "yes", same diagnosis.

Is there oil in the coolant ? If "yes", most probably the head gasket has blown, maybe in addition to the piston ring problem.

What is the problem with your radiator? Is it blocked? Is the thermostat failed in the closed position?

Best wishes

RB