Sign in to follow this  
jonrb

VR6 won't start :o(

I guess the older cable will be sufficient for my needs in that case.

eBay, here I come. :)

I'm planning on getting VAG-COM capability in some shape, manner or form within the week. The current dilemma is whether to get the standard opto cable like Matt's for just reading the Corrado, or a PRO version so I can read my wife's Cupra as well and the S4 (or RS4 if funds allow) that I plan to replace the Corrado with one day.

Check which type of connector the Ibiza has, the last Toledo I looked at (a 98R) still had a 2x2 connector.

Blue Nothelle: Thanks for your kind offer. As soon as I've had a go at cleaning the ISV and seen what that does, I'll send you a PM about the weekend. Fingers crossed that cleaning it will solve the problem. :)

What I don't understand is why the car failed to start for so long and then suddenly it starts but shows all the signs of a duff ISV. I hope the ISV isn't masking another problem, like a failing ECU or something.

The ISV is the most likely culprit but in the event that it doesn't solve the problem, there are a couple of other possibilities that wouldn't necessarily throw a fault code.

Regarding the starting - did/do you press the accelerator when attempting to start the car?

Regarding the starting - did/do you press the accelerator when attempting to start the car?

Not totally sure. My normal starting procedure is to give it a little gas. I would imagine this would have been no different on the morning that I discovered the fault, so the answer would be yes. I would imagine that I would have tried the old-fashioned cold start procedure of trying to coax it on the throttle too (I'm old enough to have had a car with a carburettor and a manual choke!).

Subsequently to that, test starts whilst trying to diagnose the fault were by leaning into the car and turning the key, so in those instance there would have been no throttle applied.

In the car's current state, it will start (albeit very lumpily) with or without throttle. Dr_mat will be able to confirm this.

So an inconclusive answer to your question, I'm afraid.

Well, I popped into Halfords to get some Carburettor Cleaner this lunchtime. As I suspected, they didn't have any out on the shelves and when I asked the spotty little gimp of an assistant (sic) for it I swear he didn't even know what a carburettor was. rolleyes.gif

So I guess it's off to Camberley Autofactors whenever I get the chance (or persuade the wife to go in for me). Sigh.

I have WD40, 3-in-1 Penetrating Spray, Holts Wet-Start and Electrical Switch-Cleaning spray at home. Would any of those be suitable?

Quick question:

I got some Carb Cleaner, undid the hoses and electrical connectors on the ISV, pulled it out of its rubber collar, and took it off to my garage where I stood it upright (electrical connector downwards) and squirted copious quantities of carb cleaner into the air in and air out holes. I repeated this several times throughout the day.

It is too late at night to put it back on now, so it will have to be done tomorrow evening.

However, before putting it back on I'd like to excercise it a bit by applying a voltage directly to the ISV in order to actuate the valve. The ISV has two connectors labelled 1 and 2. No indication as to which is +ve and which is -ve. Also no indication of the voltage and current to apply. Can anyone supply this information?

If I don't get the info then I won't risk it and I'll just reassemble back on the car and hope for the best.

Edit: Oh, and an 6mm allen key worked fine, and my VAG-COM cable arrived and works fine also. It can only read the ECU when the engine is running though, but can read the ABS with just the ignition on but the car not running. Strange.

BTW, the Carb Cleaner didn't work :(

I've just ordered an ISV from GPC for £115 + £7 carriage + VAT

ECP wanted £136 + VAT for one, so £115 + VAT is probably a bargain (if you can call £115 for a motorised valve a bargain :roll:)

I just hope it fixes the problem.

Well, the new ISV arrived today (speedy delivery - top marks to GPC), I fitted it, and the car starts and runs like it always used to - sweet as a nut with that endearing slightly lumpy 6 cyclinder idle. clap.gif

A big "thank you" to everyone who helped and contributed, particularly dr_mat. :)

Well, the new ISV arrived today (speedy delivery - top marks to GPC), I fitted it, and the car starts and runs like it always used to - sweet as a nut with that endearing slightly lumpy 6 cyclinder idle. clap.gif

A big "thank you" to everyone who helped and contributed, particularly dr_mat. :)

nice one :D .......and its good to see dr_mat does have his uses now and again :-P :wink:

If only I could sprinkle that same magic dust on my own VR! :)

"Physician, heal thyself" hehe.gif :D