Sign in to follow this  
Louie Lungbubble

Gear Linkage Nightmare

God, I've had a mare today!

The problem is the point were the gearstick control rod attaches to the gearbox lever arm.

Something went west this afternoon leaving the 2 disconnected (and me stuck in neutral, blocking traffic)

The Alcoholics Anonymous bloke got a call, and after a while of trying to cobble something together, he eventually admitted defeat and towed me home.

So I'm looking at this now, scratching my head .

First pic shows the square rubber bush with a hole through it off the gearbox lever arm, and this looks as though something's snapped off the metal band around it.

second pic shows the round solid steel arm protruding from the rubber boot with an indentation at the end (maybe for some kind of clip?)

Whatever joined these 2 together is probably down a grid somewhere, so does anyone know whether, if i buy a new squre bush thing it'll have whats needed to re-connect everything?

Cheers.

Looks to me like the end has snapped off the cable. Lots of cables in the breakers.

Anything else thats missing will be connected to this... .http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9889&item=2491439232&rd=1

You can get the same bits off any cable change box at the scrappy.

gavin

Is it a cable change gearbox?

The bar inside that rubber boot I'm holding feels like a pretty solid link straight back to the gear stick.

AA bloke also said he'd never seen one of these go before.

Typical! :|

Mine broke there too , the square end is crimped onto the end of the selector rod and ends up braking through time , i managed to braze the end back onto the rod till i replaced it , and got another mint one from the scrappers . When i replaced it i went to snap the end off the brazed one it was solid so it prob would have done . To replace it its a bit of an ass , you have to drop the front part of the exhauste down and remove the heat / sound proofing from the tunnel , disconnect the other linkage , remove the circlips holding the cables through the bracket on the gearbox , take the gearknob / trim off, then you have to drop the gear lever box out of the tunnel along with the cables and replace the cable . Apparently the stealers have modded the end of the cable to prevent this happening . Hope this helps

Jim

My cable snapped there as well. Get one from a breakers, the dealer was asking for £120 for one!!

:shock: 120 Notes??? For a bit of rod? That's SCANDALOUS!

Was hoping for a couple of quid fix there, but doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

Thanks for that info Jim. At least now I know what's involved in doing the job meself.

If i got one from a scrappy, does it have to be corrado specific, or would a golf / passat do?

Passat one will be fine, same part number and i have a passat one on my rad after the previous owner snapped my cable and wound it back together with..........................................................GARDEN TWINE!!!! :shock:

Its a crazy world we live in eh :|

My cable snapped there as well. Get one from a breakers, the dealer was asking for £120 for one!!

£120? WOW. You can get VW Racing cables cheaper than that!

Bit of an update.

Just phoned the stealers who told me there are 2 cables.

One is a shift cable, the other a select cable.

£62 each.

Can anyone tell me from the pic above which of these I've knackered?

Ta.