Sign in to follow this  
Corleone

Smell of Fuel

Hi there everyone... Recently became the owner of a vr6 storm :lol: I do have one problem though!!! There seems to be a bad smell of petrol coming into thhe car when window or sunroof is open, can't see a leak anywhere...

I did notice though, when i fully tanked the car, You could smell the fuel outside aswell.. Any ideas anyone ????

Put the petrol cap back on :wink: Sorry not much help :lol:

Dunno if the VR has an external filter/pump as well as the one in the tank... but if it does then you may find it's a leaky filter/pump or fuel pipes. Best way to check is to turn the electrics on (no need to start the engine) when you do this you'll hear the pump (situated in front of your off side rear wheel) once the pump is running then you should be able to see if there's any driping fuel down there. This happened on my valver just after I got it...

Good luck, oh and welcome to the forum BTW

I have started to get a real fuel pong myself but cannot trace the leak - must be very slight and only on cold start ups. I have no idea where to look and so have ignored it... :?

Yep nice one mate !!! it was exactly what you said in this post :)

Recap : Old clip's just replaced , you can find the pipes on the drivers side , front suspention tower , down behind the engine

Thanks Buttles :thumb right:

(I'll try to get some pic's) :wink:

Nick_Micouris,

Does your car crank loads before starting and then you get the fuel smell????

G

No - it starts normally but I just get a pong of fuel on start ups but only when cold. I did have the fuel filter changed some time ago but have had a look there and all seems normal.