Sign in to follow this  
coullstar

16v exhaust

I was under the car at the weekend and noticed that my exhaust system (Powerflow) had 4 silencers. There is the bin like one on the downpipe, one on the striaght centre section, one on the 2nd mid pipe then the 4th is the backbox.

This isnt right is it? Surely 3 is enough.

So 4 boxes plus the Cat then? Sounds a bit excessive to me.....

Most VW systems are 3 boxes plus cat....... Header -> Cat -> Resonance box -> Main silencer -> Rear Silencer.

I was just wondering if the factory system had the same or the powerflow guys had added an extra one as it was on the car when I bought it.

I was just thinking about removing the centre section one.

best one to remove is the one in the downpipe and replace it with a 4->1 manifold/downpipe combo... it's not the cheapest to do, but it'll increase power and add a little bit of noise to the exhaust too... 8)

best one to remove is the one in the downpipe and replace it with a 4->1 manifold/downpipe combo... it's not the cheapest to do, but it'll increase power and add a little bit of noise to the exhaust too... 8)

make that a lot of noise :D

The box on the downpipe doesnt actually have anything in it so its not a restriction.4 boxes is standard on kr corrado.

Im running 4branch with 3 silencer system,did have straight thru to backbox but car lost power :cry:

The 1st two boxes are resonance chambers and not silencers. You can lose those without increasing the volume too much. The 16V is a noisy engine, hence the number of boxes to reduce the noise.

I had a SuperSprint 4 branch in my MK1 16V (specially made for the conversion) with a Jetex 2 box 2.5" system and that reallly boosted the midrange (165 bhp with 148 pounds torque). The SS header is a work of art and I'm saving up for the VR6 version. Unequal length (turns the assymetric collectors to symetric ones - as per the Shrick inlet) to give a noticable torque increase. Mind you, SS headers are too good to fit to a car, they belong in glass display cabinets :lol: