Sign in to follow this  
Craigs8vgti

Corrado not blow air on front screen

Hi guys

wonder if you can help got a 90 corrado 16v the heat does not blow air onto the windowscreen only blows out of the vents in front of dash any got idea what can be wrong :(

IIRC there is a cog on the flap which directs the air up to the windscreen when you move the lever!

this can break meaning the flap doesn`t get moved.... you`ll probably have to take the heater control panel off and the parts of the dash in the footwell s off to trace the bowden cable to see where it goes

hope this helps

your bowden cables have probably slipped. Normally the one you can see it from the passenger footwell if you remove the shelf underneath the glove box. It will just need setting up again. Did it recently as I had the same problem.

There is a metal clip that stops the cable from moving that has to be levered off. Prise it off from the RHS as you see it.

To set up the correct operation you need to set both slide levers to the left (off/cool). Then pull the white lever towards you until you hear the flap hit the end stop.

Now the fun bit - put the metal clip back into position!

its not too bad a job. Just fun with your head stuck in the passenger footwell, bog all room to move and a bit fiddly. The clip flicks off at the RHS as mentioned and the rest of the clip fits in a hole. The only reason its fiddly is trying to remember which way round the bloody clip fits when it pings off - definately an interference fit! Don't be delicate

It's not actually the screen vents that are my problem - they work okay, as do the footwell vents. My problem is that no air comes from the front dash vents. Neither the centre or either of the 2 side vents work :cry:

To top it all - my heater motor is rather noisy too. Still, I suppose if I can't get a new one cheaply then nobody can :lol:

I don't know how similar the heater arrangement is to a Mk2 Golf, but my old one had this problem ALL the time. The set of cogs under the dash kept slipping a tooth or two, thus messing up the flap control. Drove me mad... worth checking out though.

I don't know how similar the heater arrangement is to a Mk2 Golf, but my old one had this problem ALL the time. The set of cogs under the dash kept slipping a tooth or two, thus messing up the flap control. Drove me mad... worth checking out though.

Cheers m8 - I'll check that out at the weekend

is there any chance one of you guy's got a draw of what i'm looking for so i dont take the wrong think bits if cog dead will vw have them in stock or is it best go get one of a scrapper first and is it a standard part on all vw :(

Ok mine was simple and this may be the case for all of you, inc orig poster.

Take the 5 screws (or six) out of the shelf under the glove box, then remove it.

If you move the lever you will see where it moves behind and you can then see three cogs 9 (about 20mm diamater) almost near the screw you took out closest to the levers, my cog had fallen out/snapped out and just fallen on the floor, this then means the lever does nothing and will remain in one position (ie the last position before it snapped out or before the cog broke) so for the orig poster the lever may just not be moving anything and stuck in one position thus your side vents dont work but your screen and others do.

Ok the cog that actually snapped out was not the problem directly, the problem is the cog that controls the vents, the cog thats furthest to the right as you look at the 3 cogs has lost some of its teeth (i feel like taking the rest of its teeth out for vengence and satisfaction :twisted: ) because the vent cog has lost its teeth it pushes the middle cog out totally.

What I am trying to say is, I need a new vent cog and will either pop down VW and be ripped off or I would assume its the same cog on most VW's (mind you this is a raddo)

btw the cog is held in by itself, its manufactured to just push in and locate

Best bet really has to be a scrappy m8, if ya desperate for it then....

Same as myself...... ps Did you get the part number please..

got the same problem. air only comes out of the fron tdash vents..... nothing on the windscreen or me freezing feet.

absolute nightmare now that winter is fresh upon us

Last week i was on vauxhall roundabout with no visibility other than out the lhs and rhs open windows.....nightmare.

I just wish i knew what u all are talking about???? Im gna have a look under to see as per your advice. i can hear the flap open for the windscreen vent, but no air comes out and the air still balsts out opf the fron t vents..... I assumed it was a blockage, but tbh i aint got a frigin clue.

Ill try my luck with a hammer(the old tv aint working trick) and start banging.... not

Thanks guys :?

still not got the bits to fix the problem can not find what joins to cogs together and been vw dealers and keep getting different part number it not the 2 arm that move it the cog that opens the flap but cannot find part number for it :(

u need to buy the whole system to get it right..

messed about with it, now i get air out of the windscreen and the bottom, and slightly out of the front. it was pretty easy to do, you need to go under the passenger side and open it up from there......but its still fd

Just orded the bit be here on wednesday so will try and fit it then

any got an idea how to keep the flap in right place till then so i can see were im going :(