CrazyMan

popping under load

Had this little problem start last week, if i go into 4th gear at

about 35-40 and give it bit of throttle, the car judders and

sometimes i can here it popping like unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

Ive just had new leads, new plugs,new exhaust but its still doing it,

what could be the problem?? anyone?

All hail the mighty corrado 8)

This is a classic symptom of a knackered coilpack (The £200 block the leads plug into above the gearbox), but may not neccesarily be that. The epoxy resin tends to break down over the years allowing the spark to short to ground.

The best way to check it is get it home and when dark, start her up and spray a fine mist of water on the coil pack and check for any fireworks! Don't worry, you will not damage the ECU or coilpack doing this.

VW have publically disclosed there is a weakness with the coilpacks and last on average 30-40K. You can repair them by drying with a hair dryer and smothering it with loads of fresh epoxy resin (Halfords sell it).

If it's not the coil pack, could be the O2 sensor or Mass air flow sensor.

VAG-COM doesn't really give you much info on these items and the coilpack is not monitored at all. The MAF only shows up as faulty when completely dead.

I see you have an induction kit, sometimes the oil from these is sucked onto the platinum wire of the MAF sensor causing a false reading.

I would say plug into the diags and see what comes up, if nothing, check the items listed above.

Cheers

Kev

94 VR6

Oh actually, one really simple thing to check.....when you replaced the leads, did you push all 6 fully home? Sometimes people partially push them on because they're tricky to get to.

Kev

Cheers mate, given me a good idea where to start..

Whats the best place to get a diagnostics done, VW want to charge me 40 friggin quid and besides last time i took it there the muppets thought my car had a turbo?? :roll:

Also that induction kit is history now, ive got the turn2 CAI, is there any way to clean the MAF sensor?

Another thing is it likley that this problem could be caused via a serious mechanical fault in the engine that requires expensive repairs? - just fearing the worst as usual :?

No you can't do anything with the MAF sensor dude :( However, each time you start the car, it heats the platinum wire to 1000 degrees for a few seconds to burn off any crud, so you should be OK there. Just don't over oil your K&N filter!!

Relax fella, your engine is OK and by the picture of your engine bay, it looks very well looked after and maintained. You'd soon know if you had a serious mechanical failure. The engine would run VERY badly, if at all.

Popping in the exhaust sounds worse than it is, Rally cars do it deliberately to keep the turbo spinning.

Shame you're in Bournemouth as I'd hook your car up to my diagnostics program for you. If you want to check the diags yourself, you can buy the special cable and software from here http://www.ross-tech.com

They're excellent. I ordered mine on Wednesday and it turned up this morning. I plugged it in and came up with 'no faults found' :lol: The software has 7000 error codes, so it will find any problem straight away.

Kev

94 VR6

Cheers buddy, will be checking out that sight.

Just uploaded a new picture of my engine, took it last night after some violent polishing :)

MIne also pops when changing from third to fourth when I'm giving it some. Is it worth worrying about? Could I be running slightly rich?