Sign in to follow this  
bigbluec

Starting Problems.....

Right guys i've read god knows how many posts during a search for the above title but none seem to have the exact answer......

So please dont kill me for putting up a very regular question.

Background: (1990 1.8 16v KR) Heater Matrix went about a month and a half ago and i immediately stopped engine as luckily it was in my driveway, have been taking my time to do this job as i've lost my License for six months :cry: (Speeding) and finally put it back together last week, went to start it but no joy just turns over with no hint of firing at all.

I've checked for a spark which i have, the plugs seem to smell of fuel and are damp.

What can it be? i have fuel and spark so it doesn't make much sense to me.

Are these possibilities?

- Moisture in fuel after being sat for month and a half (Quarter of a tank left)

-One of the fuel pumps have gone? Can hear initial surge of pump when i first turn the key.

Surely it can't be head gasket as it would at least fire on one or two badly?

Thanks for sparing me your time!

Have you definitely got fuel - check its pumping by slightly undoing fuel pipe nut on metering head.

Wasn't sure which was the fuel in and which was the fuel return so tried both and fuel is coming out of both :?:

What is going on ? think my car is :cuckoo:

sorry should have been clearer, undo one of the nuts on top of the metering head - the reason for this is there is a valve in the metering head which occasionally sticks and cuts off fuel to the injector's... by undoing the flow at least you know you have fuel to the metering head.

sometimes, after a car has been standing, it just needs a good CRANKING

if it ran fine before, it should do now.

go through the basics - check your dizzy cap and rotor arm - scratch up the contacts if they are looking furry

make sure your battery has plenty of charge too. make sure the earth strap is good (not good means slow starter motor turnover). maybe even a blast of wd40 on the ht leads (but NEVER NEVER NEEEEVVVVEEER in the dizzy cap)

hopefully that'll coax it into life.

failing that, try a bump start, or tow start.

i've had many 4 cylinder golfs over the years, and some have needed a bit of convincing to start after a break. once they have been run up to temperature, they start fine everyday.

some, however, start instantly, no matter how long they been left for.

do all the above and let us know if its ok

Right finally it started! :mrgreen: God knows why it wouldn't as it definitely had fuel and a nice Fat spark :?:

but after getting some one else to tow and bump start my car (took 2 miles) it's back to being its normal start at first turn of the key! so sorry i can't shed any light on it but guess it was just throwing a strop for not being driven!

cool! 8)

if you fail to use a corrado, or if you mistreat it, it will get it's own back.

2 mile bump start? bet that were fun!