Sign in to follow this  
Cougar

Alot of vibration under acceleration

I have alot of vibration under acceleration and it almost feels like the engine is bouncing as the vibration goes like wawawawawa increasing with engine speed.

I replaced the front mount not long ago and strus and control arms. Could the rear mount be causing that? It appears that the engine is moving alot when I open the hood and goose it but I was told that they often do. Any ideas?

Moving a lot in which direction? The engine mounts hold the engine in three points, if the engine rocks back a lot then the front mount is knackered, if it rocks to the front-left of the car (when you're putting load on it in reverse gear) then the rear right mount is gone and if the engine rocks to the front right, then obviously the gearbox mount is gone.

By "a lot of movement" what do you mean? The top of the engine might move up to an inch or so on standard, fully functional mounts, but no more than that. IMHO.

Too be quite honest, when replacing engine mounts it really is best to do all 3 (yes I know its god damn costly), reason being, if one mount is slightly knackered its then going to reflect upon the new engine mount you put in thus causing it to deteriate quicker than it would normally.

I only did the front mount and I think that's what happen as it was fine for awhile now it moves almost 3 inches front to rear. I'lll check for loose bolts but I suspect it's gone again.

Thanks for the responses!

Well which way does it move *from rest*?

Pop the bonnet, get back in the car, put the handbrake on hard and push against it by gently lifting the clutch in both forward and reverse gears. See which way the engine moves.

Up and towards the front and it's the rear mounts, back and towards the rear of the bay and it's the front mount...

Turned out to be the lower bolt on the mount. While I was there I tightened every bolt I could find and alot were slightly loose. It has 140k on it. Made a HUGE difference tightening everything. Guess it just something you have to do on the G60 once in a while.

i once bought a mk1 golf gti, which was in ok condition all round, except the clutch had gone.

so it was a low low price.

turned out the gearbox had worked loose. tightened it in 10 mins, and the clutch was fine :D

gentlemen - examine your nuts . . . .