Sign in to follow this  
matt buz

test drove a G60 last night. Thoughts please!

Hey all

I test drove a G60 last night. Was wanting your thoughts. Its got 83 on the clock and a FSH. Supercharger replaced last year.(spanish vw dealers as he works in spain every so often) I intend to get a friend/mechanic former g60 owner to look round the car to see if its mechanically sound. My thoughts after driving it though are that it was not as nice to drive as my 94 2.0l 16v. The gearbox was a quite slack compared to mine. The steering a lot heavier (it has 17's on.Mine has 16's) Alot bumpier ride (although standard suspension) and it basically feels like an old car where as mine feels pretty new even though there are only 3 years diff between the two. I was quite suprised by the ride difference in general as I expected it to be pretty much the same as mine. Has anyone on here driven both the later 2l 16v and the 91 G60. Are they alot different? I did the check list and everything seems fine.

Oh i forgot to mention too.... Its BLOODY QUICK!!!! :D

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Thanks

Matt Buz

Hard to compare my two Corrado's as my 94 16v was totally standard, and my 92 G60 is both modified for performance and handling..

The G60 is a LOT more fun to drive and gives you a taste of the performance that the Corrado should have.. I never felt that the 16v gave me that. But then the G60 is noisier and thirstier, and because of the suspension bumpy around town.. so if I had to do any kind of long distance driving, the G60 would have to go!

Tuning is easy and relatively inexpensive, so you have scope for lots mods when you have money to spend :)

Go for it - you won't regret it! :)

Hey all

I test drove a G60 last night. Was wanting your thoughts. Its got 83 on the clock and a FSH. Supercharger replaced last year.(spanish vw dealers as he works in spain every so often) I intend to get a friend/mechanic former g60 owner to look round the car to see if its mechanically sound. My thoughts after driving it though are that it was not as nice to drive as my 94 2.0l 16v. The gearbox was a quite slack compared to mine. The steering a lot heavier (it has 17's on.Mine has 16's) Alot bumpier ride (although standard suspension) and it basically feels like an old car where as mine feels pretty new even though there are only 3 years diff between the two. I was quite suprised by the ride difference in general as I expected it to be pretty much the same as mine. Has anyone on here driven both the later 2l 16v and the 91 G60. Are they alot different? I did the check list and everything seems fine.

Oh i forgot to mention too.... Its BLOODY QUICK!!!! :D

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Thanks

Matt Buz

In theory, all Corrados should ride the same, so chances are it's the bigger wheels that are affecting the ride and steering feel. Having said that, a slack gearbox doesn't sound fun. It's a different 'box to the valvers, but still shouldn't feel 'slack'.

My advice would be to try a few G60s so you get to know what they should feel like. If you're in any doubt about it, then just walk away. When you find the right one, you'll know :)

the slackness in the box could just be gear linkage bushes which are cheap and easy to replace, was it difficult to get into any gears??

the slackness in the box could just be gear linkage bushes which are cheap and easy to replace, was it difficult to get into any gears??

no, it found them easy enough but it was alot looser then mine. Also the accelerator was heavier and the biting point on the clutch suprisingly higher. It felt more like my mk2 Golf GTi then my C.