Sign in to follow this  
Neil L.

VR6 engine...

Can anyone tell me if theres any visable difference between the various VR6 engines that are available - can the ABV & SLC be recogised by just looking at them? What VR6 is installed into the Passat? Any other models with this engine? How many valves has the 2.8 Golf (+USA) engine? Thanks for your help!

The Golf VR6, so I am told is actually a different VR6 engine, it is 2.8 as opposed to the Corrado's 2.9 and offers 174bhp compared to the Corrado's 190. Both have 2 valves per cylinder so 12 valves. Not sure about the Passat but pretty sure it is a 2.8 version. For some reason tho I have heard that the Corrado VR6 offers better economy than the Golf version, I get almost 30mpg out of mine! :wink:

The engine code is stamped on the block...

They are basically the same engine, but the 2.9 (ABV) is bigger bore, plus it has slightly different cams, inlet manifold and thottle body than the 2.8 (AAA). I'm not aware of any other differences though.

The passat, bora, golf etc all use the AAA 2.8 engine, as do the Corrado SLCs in the USA. There are other localisations on the US engines, mainly for emission controls (such as the EGR valve, which I don't think the Euro engines have).

Don't forget the Passat is also available with the Audi 3.0 V6 - a proper V engine, plus the later cars had the 24V 2.8VR6 engine.

oh yea, that would be the 204 bhp 2.8 v6 they dropped in the mk4 golf v64motion? If you are in U.S you wil no doubt prefer the VR6, but don't bother with the auto box, it's a pile of crap! :wink:

Yep, that's the bunny. The 3.0 V6 30V audi engine is also around 205bhp, but it's got a lot more grunt and low down torque (as you'd expect) than the 2.8 VR6.