Sign in to follow this  
kerrinmay

Clutch - Hydraulic or Cable on a 2.0 16v?

Great thanks. I'm assuming it has it's own reservoir that I will find in the engine bay somewhere.

Has anyone suffered problems in the cold with their clutches? Mine felt a bit strange on a couple of mornings last week and then this morning the biting point felt a bit lower down and didn't feel like quite the same resistance as normal when pressing down on the pedal. After it's warmed up it seems to feel much better though.

The Clutch uses the same fluid as the brakes.

The clutch can suffer sometimes this is usually the fault of the need for a bleed.slave or master cylinders.

try to fix in that order. bleeding requires ideally 2 people. start at the master and then slave and repeat the process a couple of times.

Shares the same reservoir as the brakes, but has it's own master and slave cylinder.

It's worth flushing the fluid out of it if it's not been changed for a while, but other than that, changes to the bite point tend to indicate you need a new master or slave cylinder for it.. They're not hugely expensive new.

Thanks for the info. Actually had the brake fluid changed by VW a couple of weeks ago - so presumably they would have had to bleed the clutch as well as all the brakes to do it, so I'm guessing it's not that. So maybe it is the master and slave cylinders.

I was wondering if the brakes and clutch were all connected as didn't recollect having seen a seperate reservoir, but then thought perhaps they're not as I had an old BMW E30 about 6 years ago and that had seperate systems and I used to carry extra fluid with me to top up the clutch as I had a problem at one point where it used to drain out! That's definately not the sort of problem I want when it's connected up with the brakes!

clutch will be innoperative before the brakes suffer, you`d probably find the clutch pedal doesnt return to the top!

so you wouldnt be moving to need your brakes! :)

Has anyone suffered problems in the cold with their clutches? Mine felt a bit strange on a couple of mornings last week and then this morning the biting point felt a bit lower down and didn't feel like quite the same resistance as normal when pressing down on the pedal. After it's warmed up it seems to feel much better though.

Have a look for traces of fluid under the slave cyl (on top of the gearbox) - there may not be any tho as they start to leak internally first....

Well the clutch finally gve up yesterday morning. :cry: Got in the car and the pedal went straight to the floor and wouldn't return unless you hooked your foot underneath and pull it back up. Got it booked into garage for Tuesday - just have to hope I can get it there. I tried the car a bit later on and after a few pumps of the pedal it seemed to be working (just about) so I'm going to try and limp up to drop it off at the garage tomorrow.

clutch slave cylinder i think.... check brake fluid and fill up if its empty (which it should be if its slave cylinder) and pump the pedal, it might give you enough to get to garage

Had phone call from the garage earlier and it is the slave cylinder that's gone, but on another note I also need a new water pump :(

That's not too bad then... 8)

Oh, and water pumps are only around £30 and aren't too difficult/time consuming to do on a valver... 8)

Oh, and water pumps are only around £30 and aren't too difficult/time consuming to do on a valver... 8)

Although the garage also commented that there is also the possibility of the head gasket needing replacement - but they won't know until they do the water pump :cry:

eh? this smells more and more like a garage making work for the sake of it mate... :|

What makes 'em think that the water pump needs replacement and that the head gasket may be going?!? Water pumps on VWs make it pretty obvious that they need changing as they tend to spit the coolant out when the engine is running... ;)

Head gaskets are also pretty easy to diagnose on 'em too, so unless your car has dropped ALL of it's coolant from the waterpump, they should be able to tell pretty spot on if it's gone or not before they do the pump... :|

If I were you, I'd get a second opinion before committing to any more work being done on the car once the clutch is sorted... :?

If the clutch is Hydro', does this mean it cannot be adjusted - the bite point is far too early for my liking.

Yep, it can't be adjusted, if the bite point is too low - ie near to the floor then you have a problem with the hydraulics...

Most likely the slave cylinder leaking.

The bite point seems to be immediate. Although does fully dis-engage once depressed.

Where should it bite ?

Should there be a bit of movement before it bites?

On the Golf it was simply a matter of checking for a little play in the clutch.