Sign in to follow this  
radodale

Electric problem - Fuse Box

seems as though there is a power drain sometimes overnight which i believe is a result of some previous work by a not so good auto electrician from the previous owner. i had my man look at it and he says would be best for him to put a new fuse box in and put all wiring back to how it should be.

I have got a fuse box from a 1990 16v and mine is a 1992 vr6 and i was wondering if anyone could advise if this can replace mine or would it have to be one from a vr6???????

Thanks

ive been advised to change my fuse box as well due to some serious bodge wiring previous to my purchase

however, last night, when once again my car cut out, the aa told me it wasnt my fuse box, its my alternator that isnt giving enough voltage to my car, as its only 70a, and with aftermaket parts such as an amplifier, new radio e tc you need the alternator to be atleast 90-a.........to give out the right power

ive beena dvised to change my fuse box as well due to some serious bodging wiring job........my car dies ona reg, cant use radio sometimes, and high beam, as itll cut off............now.... the aa told me yesterday it aint my fuse box, although it is quite temperamental, its my alternator that isnt giving enough voltage to my car, as its only 70a, and with aftermaket parts sucha san amp, new radioe tc you need alternator to be atleast 90-a.........

No, can't understand a word of that.....

I seriously doubt that a "normal" car radio and alarm setup will draw more than 70amps. It's quite possible your alternator is knackered tho... Stick a voltmeter across it while the engine is running, it should read 13.5 to 14.5 volts. If you can apply load (i.e. stick the lights on!) and get that voltage to drop considerably, then yeah, your alternator needs looking at.

VRs with air-con were shipped with 120a alternators, iirc...

mr mat, no thats exactoly what i mean, i have an amp, 6 by 9s and a radio atatched, i have a votlmeter and it reads 13.5, then with my lights on full it reads 12.5, with my radio it reads 11 ish and cuts out........not always but most of the time. thats what i meant by 90 amps being reqd, as the 70 amps built in the cotrrado assumes that it is std, but once you start drawing out moerw power from the battery, the alternatior should be changed for a 90amp one.