Sign in to follow this  
Unclebuck

Weird lights problem

I noticed this morning as I parked the car facing another, that the front off-side side-light comes on when I press the brake!

Anyone recognise this problem, or have any ideas? Is it another 'feature'?

:?

:?:

I think this is usually indicative of an earthing problem somewhere. Experts will probably advise you in more detail later.

This was the factory fitted no-cost optional extra which anticipates that you are stopping, and automatically switches on the parking lights half an hour after sunset outside of a built-up area.

This is not to be confused with the highly sophisticated system fitted to most white builders' vans: this causes all the tail lights to dim and flash erratically in the extremely unlikely event that the indicators are ever used.

But seriously though, folks. I agree that there is an earthing problem somewhere in the front or, more likely, rear bulb holders.

Best wishes

RB

change the rear off side brake light bulb... one of the elements in it has broken and has shorted to the other element meaning that when you brake it's allowing a current to pass through the side light circuit too...

Ka' had this problem earlier this year... 8)

Thanks for the advice. I will change the bulb.

I suspected something in that area, but the rear brake light is still working OK.

I guess it's broken in such a way as to still function but also earth the sidelight circuit. I hadn't realised there was a different sidelight circuit for left and right sides.

It must be what you say. I'll change it. Thanks again.

there's a seperate left and right sidelight circuit so that the parking lights can work... If you leave the indicators on with the ignition off, it'll put the side lights on only on the side you're indicating to... 8)

Unclebuck, is it possible that the wiring was damaged when you had all the damage and repairs, or has it only just started playing up?

Best wishes

RB

ps suggest that YOU drink half a bottle of Calpol. Then you won't notice the coughing....

This happened on one of my old C's when I put the wrong brake bulb in :roll: - couldn't work it out for ages until my local mechanic suggested it!

I will change the bulb, and let you know.

I was going to do it this weekend, but the problem has gone away! I'll wait for it to come back to see if the fix works.

The damage earlier this year required new passenger door only. Everything worked fine afterwards.

PS Tried drinking the Calpol. (Tastes fine with vodka.) Woke up two days later. Feel much better, thanks.