Sign in to follow this  
Craigs8vgti

Have Problems Staring Now Its Cold

Hi Guys

I have a little problem now it gone cold me baby have problem starting in the morning i've had the battery check and the alternator plus ive taken the bulb out of light in the boot just in case

need help any got idea what it can be

i'm thing of giveing baby a service as well

:oops: :cry: :oops:

Eyeballs freezing? Common problem... ;)

The service won't hurt. New plugs and less sludgey oil will help. I'm assuming that the car is turning on the starter ok, but not firing? Or it's firing but running rough? Or what?

I can understand your C's complaints though. I don't like getting up when it's cold either...

Eyeballs freezing? Common problem... ;)

:D

what exactly is the problem, does the cranking sound weak, or will it just not fire, and is it only when cold :?: assuming its a 1.8 they get harder as they get older unless kept in top nick....

firstly would endorse a service as Mat says, then invest in a quality calcium battery

then get onto..

Check/ replace your cold start valve (blue thing) on end of common rail on inlet manifold, also check the thermotime switch which is the brown connector/ brass nut sensor beneath the water jacket outlet.

theory is the thermotime allows the cold start valve to supply fuel for 8seconds when the engine temp is below 95 degs - like an automatic choke

it could be other things like poor injectors, or a dying fuel pump really is difficult to diagnose effectively without full deatils :wink:

Only just started to do it since it gone cold real slow to turn over and have trouble to fire been fine while it been warn no funny noises from crank

Will replace the cold start valve se what happens

doning service tom if weather good as not into freezing hands n hot oil dont mix

what oil shell i go for :shock: :mad: :shock: :roll:

mate if it's slow to turn over i'd defo try a different battery first, cold driving saps power with the lights and heater fans on, and if your alternator ain't top drawer then your not effectively charging.

trickle charge your battery overnight, and then see how it starts before you start messing with sensors

change the earth strap which runs from the battery to the chassis and then to the gearbox... it'll have gone green and oxidised. The cold weather will make it even higher resistance so your starter motor just can't get enough current to turn the engine fast enough for it to fire up... 8)

If I remember my physics, wires increase in resistance when they're hot, Henny...

The battery, on the other hand, needs a good thin electrolytic fluid to transport high currents, which is not helped by the cold weather..

yup, you're right dr_mat, BUT, the oxidisation in the copper wire becomes more resistive when cold and damp... ;)

You're right about the battery though, however Craigs8vgti, stated that he'd had the battery checked, so I'm just offering alternative suggestions... 8)

Gave baby a service over the weekend took the plugs out n they were in a right state so treated baby to some new bosch plug evrything was fine and dandy this morning :lol:

Going do the earth lead over weekend as it looks abit dogeared

Thank for all the help

Just got to get he head around fixing heater flap yet :lol: