Sign in to follow this  
swfblade

"Skipping" - Rear suspension?

Sometimes when I go around a left-hand bend, my C "skips" out suddenly for a split second. It used to happen a lot around both right and left bends, when one of my shox was leaking, but since replaced, it only happens round left ones now. Its not all the time, only sometimes, and it seems to be when there is a up-down motion in the corner.

It is very disconcerting as there will be now warning, just a sudden jolt to the right at the rear. Is this due to a rear shok on its way out? Or is it something more serious?

O and while im here, Ive just been speaking to a guy about some suspension kits (1 made by Interalloy, 1 by supersport). They are for a MK2, but he said that it wont fit my C as its got Passat rear suspension, but i was under the impression that rear MK2 shox would be fine?

I think you should replace shocks in pairs only, also check your bushes. Mk2 valver rear shocks are same i think

I think you should replace shocks in pairs only, also check your bushes. Mk2 valver rear shocks are same i think

Replace in pairs. mk2 shocks may be the same dimension wise but the valving is almost certainly different.

gavin

No, it won't.

Geometrically the suspension kits are the same, however the G60 weighs far more than the Golf & a Golf kit will not be stiff enough.

ok thnx.

But why is it that ETKA has the same part no's for the rear suspension on a Golf and a C? :? Its been confusing me this one for ages.

Because they're the same :wink:

The only difference between MK2 and Corrado rear suspensions are the axle bushes and one or two other minor things....the dampers and mounts are identical (physically) but valved differently and different rate springs too.

In your first post you refer to "suspension kits" - the front suspension springs from a MK2 Golf are NOT the same as Corrado ones. As I stated above - the Corrado weighs more than the Golf.

I know - I ran MK2 Golf suspension on my G60 for 4 months last year. One of the front bumpstops ended up being forced right over the shocker body. MK2 front springs are way too soft for Corrado G60's.

thnx for replys guys.

I understand what you are saying that the rating is different, I dont doubt you at all!! 8) So i shouldnt get an uprated kit for a Golf, but for a C.

Wot i dont understand is why VW have the same part number for the Shock absorber on both Golf and C, if they are in fact different :? Is it simply the case that they now supply the uprated version for Golfs as well?

Wot i dont understand is why VW have the same part number for the Shock absorber on both Golf and C, if they are in fact different Is it simply the case that they now supply the uprated version for Golfs as well?

If the part number i exactly the same then they are exactly the same! - maybe the springs are different....

thanks olly elworthy, im begging to understand now :lol:

I personally wouldn't go for non-standard rear shocks unless they are adjustable (e.g. Koni's) the reason being I've had Boge dampers on my C and although they are the uprated gas items sold for Golf 16v's too, they are far to firm for even the Corrado, bear in mind that most people rarely carry much weight in the back of a C too.

Koni's are great though, I've adjusted up from the softest setting but they are nearly as comfortable as standard items but with better control adjusted to the feel I prefer, for the rear they only worked out about 15 quid more than the cheap shocks and are much better in terms of build quality too, you also get ride height adjustment by a movable spring seat.

David.