Sign in to follow this  
corradovr6sc

Anybody fitted a vibratechnics rear engine mount?

Bought a vibratechnics rear engine mount the other day and had a few problems with the install:

At the base of the original mount there's a a 'cup' with a flange on the top with 2 holes where it bolts onto the subframe and a damper (looks like a suspension top mount) which fits inside this cup and forms part of the mount.

The question was, do I reuse the rubber damper or does the new mount simply bolt onto the subframe and the other bits are disregarded? Without the rubber damper and metal cup, there would be quite a bit of play in the mount as the cup and damper help minimise lateral movement. I took the vt mount apart, but the bolt which held it together was too short to incorporate the damper so I bought a longer bolt and some spacers and bolted the lot together. I fitted the cup onto the vt mount and bolted it to the subframe and refixed the engine mount bolt and it seems ok.

I just wondered whether I did the right thing? Has anyone fitted this mount and had any problems? If I don't have any problems it might be a good improvement to make and I just thought I'd post it as a suggestion and let other people comment.

32124b90.jpg

Hi mate

I've got a rear VT.

It's the same arrangement as the front one as in you do away with all the OE stuff and use the VT solo, so you don't need the bottom snubber mate.

K

Ok, thanks for that but I do think the mod I've done has improved things as the vt mount doesn't seem that rigid and can be moved around with little force. Maybe when the three are used together they provide enough stiffness to hold the engine solid. I just thought the original seemed a better design having taken it apart and seen the extra damper, although the rear mount doesn't seem to take that much force, judging by the wear on my original mount. Maybe a poly insert would have done the job equally as well.

The VTs may not appear to be much off the car, but get them on the engine and they are superb. They're designed to be slightly lower than the compressed OE rubber, so not sure what affect your mod will have. It's when under load you notice the effect of the VTs the most.....you can't change from 1st to 2nd at 7000 rpm as smoothly with the OE mounts :wink:

I don't think the bottom snubber + VT will hurt to be honest.

Poly is nasty....it has no place supporting an engine.

The bit you've bolted on the bottom act as the damper for the standard mount - as weel as absorbing extension of the mount.

Bit worried about the lateral movement comment - it bolts onto the subrame using the 2 big bolt holes in the picture so there shouldn't be any lateral movement...