Sign in to follow this  
vr6paul

vr6 whining in gear

Any ideas anyone. Started car last night, pulled out of car park to hear a whining noise when i am using the throttle and not using the clutch. If i put my foot on the clutch and let it coast the noise goes away. Also when sitting still and just rev engine (no drive going to wheels) the noise is not there.

Any ideas Thanks

Paul

Got this on mine, not very loud. I think its something to do with the gearbox, but i like to know exactly what it is.

I have exactly the same thing! Pretty quiet but usually audible when the car has warmed up, is moving, and the engine is above about 1800rpm. Depress the clutch pedal and it goes away.

Don't know what it is, but am rather afraid it could involve a gearbox rebuild as Scruffy implies. All I would say is that I have been hearing this faint whine for about 6 months now, it has got no worse, and does not affect the cars drivability in any way. So if you decide to live with it for awhile you should be OK to do so. Or just use high revs and you won't be able to hear it anyway :wink:

Oh just thought.

I have some transmission/gearbox treatment in the garage i haven't used yet.

Should i give that a bash.

If so is it easy to put it in.

Where is the filler/drainer for gearbox oil

thanks again guys

Paul

If it goes away with the clutch pedal depressed it could just be the realease bearing - cost about £10 (for a ford one anyway) but a lot of labour to change (same as doing the whole clutch). If its not loud i'd ignore it. personaly wouldnt use a gearbox treatment fluid if i were you, but it's up to you.

Ah, but the noise isn't present when the car is stationary, no matter how much you rev the engine. Wouldn't this rule the clutch out?

Check your gearbox mount. Maybe it's collapsed and the noise is being transmitted to the chassis unchecked.

Ah, but the noise isn't present when the car is stationary, no matter how much you rev the engine.
[

May well be a gearbox inner bearing or gearset problem then. How loud is the whine?

I have a similar problem, apart from its far worse when the car is cold. Most noticable between 1-2k rpm when decelerating, goes away when clutch depressed. Haven't figured it out, but if it involves replacing clutch parts I'm going to try and forget about it for the time being :(

vr6paul, what's the gearbox treatment you're going to use? (The position of the drain/refil plugs can be found on the how-to site.)

can't remember the name of the treatment- my uncle got it for me. cheers for the link

so if the gearbox mount hasn't collapsed then the general concensus would be to live with it??

I have a similar problem with mine, but it goes away after the first mile or so, once the gearbox/gearbox oil has warmed up. It does it in any gear, and goes awy with the clutch pressed down.

This suggests that the main shaft bearings may be the problem, if it is a problem and not just a characteristic of a cold gearbox thats been sitting outside in near freezing temperatures overnight.

Anyhow, i'm going to ignore mine unless it gets noticeably worse.