Sign in to follow this  
rs200f40

G60 assistance required.

Hi,

Has anyone got any ideas what to check to get my G60 going again, will list full sequence of events below.

Started with slight missfire on WOT from 3000rpm

Few days later would not accelerate at all when using more than half throttle. On full throttle it gave the induction roar but absolutely no acceleration.

Next day it was struggling to maintain 60mph and only light use of the throttle gave any acceleration.

Next day it was struggling to get to 30mph, slight incline on the way to work and it kept getting slower and slower until it got to the top and it died (I only drive a mile to work)

I can get it to start again, it will rev from idle to about 2500rpm ish once but if I try again it just dies, no coughing or spluttering, it just stops.

Called the AA and he suspected a blockage somewhere, probably the cat.

Take car to mechanic, he has had a look but he's completely stumped why it won't run.

He was going to remove the cat first but that obviously didn't fix it and I'd assume he's tried the usual fuel and ignition tests.

I had a look at the vacuum hoses suggested on my previous message but couldn't see any problems. Doesn't mean there isn't though because come of them aren't too easy to see.

Can anyone suggest what we can try next, would there be a specific vacuum hose that we should check first that could cause these problems.

I did have a broken vacuum hose before and it caused severe overfueling and lots of smoke out the exhaust but there's none of that this time.

Any suggestions greatly appretiated. Seriously thinking about that 20VT conversion now :(

You tried getting it down to a garage like Stealth or G-Werks? They know the G60 engine really well and i'm sure they'd be able to identify the fault quite quickly.

As we said in the last thread, a proper 20VT engine conversion is going to cost you a LOT of money.. getting this problem diagnosed and fixed by someone who knows what they are doing isn't. Just get it down to someone who knows G60's and you'll get is sorted in no time!

I am wondering if maybe the closed throttle switch is stuck closed. This is on the Throttle body. Check to see if it clicks when you open the throttle from under the bonnet.

A temporary fix MAY be to disconnect the throttle switches altogether and see what happens.

The vac hose to the ECU must be 1meter long and fitted to the TOP connection on the TB.

Gavin

If only it was that easy, I'm near Aberdeen.

Star Performance? Or are they other end of Scotland?

*edit*

Hm - nearly 100 miles. Still not close enough I guess :(

How about checking the distributor? Fuel supply might also be an issue, assuming you've not already ruled it out. Spark and fuel are most likely candidates, IMHO. Fuel filter?

If the throttle switch was screwed, surely the car would run fine on WOT, but would be stupidly overfuelling at other times?

My old golf did the exact same as this when a bit of crap got picked up in the fuel line and bloked it, it would fire up and rev but then die, check the fuel filter and work in from there

If the ECU thinks that the throttle is closed then it wouldn't advance the ignition timing, hence gutless performance as it is at 6 degrees.

I would think that a closed throttle switch, would over-ride a wide open one for safety reasons.

Gavin

Yep, didn't realise there was a multi-position switch, I'd assumed it was just a WOT switch...

The only other thing that makes me think it's not that is that the problem seemed to be progressive - it got slowly worse, rather than suddenly being bad..

Yep, didn't realise there was a multi-position switch, I'd assumed it was just a WOT switch...

The only other thing that makes me think it's not that is that the problem seemed to be progressive - it got slowly worse, rather than suddenly being bad..

True enough.

I had a duff dissy cap on my Passat. The carbon pip was stuck in the cap and not making with the rotor arm. Poor spark no performance. Not a problem at the time as the clutch was slipping like a good un.

Gavin

Thanks for the suggestions, will try and see if they help. Thinking about the fuel blockage idea I'm not sure if this would be the problem as it appeared to be using more fuel than usual. On the last run the MFA was reporting around 22mpg and come to think of it a half tank of petrol did seem to dissapear quite quickly. Will check it out anyhow.

Thanks

Alan.

Looks like the problem is the cam bearings are seizing, probably due to an oil supply problem which would also explain the bottom end knocking.

The cam doesn't turn as smoothly as it should and the timing belt jumps teeth whenever any load is put on the engine :-(

Looks like the problem is the cam bearings are seizing, probably due to an oil supply problem which would also explain the bottom end knocking.

The cam doesn't turn as smoothly as it should and the timing belt jumps teeth whenever any load is put on the engine

:shock:

Not good, what sort of mileage had yours done?

im sorry to hear that mate.thats not good what u planning on doing fixin it up or goin for the 1.8t conversion?

The cam doesn't turn as smoothly as it should and the timing belt jumps teeth whenever any load is put on the engine :-(

Sounds like a 20VT conversion is definitely on the cards then.... :wink:

It's got around 110k miles.

Haven't really decided what to do yet, am considering just breaking it up but I've just spent £450 on the MOT and had the charger rebuilt in the summer. AFAIK the chargers still ok as it turns smoothly and isn't making any strange noises.

Think I may just get it rebuilt, got a rough guide price from someone that said it would cost about £2k to rebuild worstcase. So should be able to get it converted to 1840cc and get the head gasflowed for under £3k and hopefully it will last me a few years.

Got some quotes for 20VT conversions but they were all £5k+.