Sign in to follow this  
Southernwood

steering rack pipes

The steering rack pipes on my car are rotten and have burst, does anyone do replacement pipes, I have tried VAG but they say you can only buy them with a Rack! Does anyone know of anywhere that does them or should I try somewhere like pirtek to try and make some up from the old pattern?

The steering rack pipes on my car are rotten and have burst, does anyone do replacement pipes, I have tried VAG but they say you can only buy them with a Rack! Does anyone know of anywhere that does them or should I try somewhere like pirtek to try and make some up from the old pattern?

Passat hoses are virtually identical to the corrado ones, equivalent year needed.

I got a virtually new looking pump-to-rack pipe for about 25 quid from Volks-Apart in London for my 1990 16v.

David.

When I had mine replaced (for it's MOT) VW quoted me silly money for pipes (about £180 I think?) so the garage removed them for me and I had some made for about £45 I think, good quality too, the garage had trouble getting one of the ends over the connector (reservoir?) though because the metal braid in the hose made it less flexible. :roll:

The connectors used are the expensive bit apparently, they aren't commonly used in the industry.

Good luck

It's actually the pipes on the rack and not the pump/reservoir ones I mean. Cheers guys.

Your local branch of "Pirtek" will make some new pipes for you - check the yellow pages.

We used them a few times when I used to work for Mercedes

Given that VR6s have completely different steering racks from the earlier models, I very much doubt it.