Sign in to follow this  
biggrim

Possible airlock in G60 after coolant change

Hello there everyone. I have a little problem and after a search on here found nothing similar to this (unless i really can't use the search section). Last week I got my coolant leak fixed, this involved the replacement of the little plactic flange on the side of the block (seal had gone and closer inspection revealed severly cracked flange) and the refill of the coolant system with good old G12+. Now, after letting the car warm up etc and putting the cap on after the level had risen in the bottle and taking it a drive I topped the coolant up the next day as it had settled a bit. Seems ok so far but now the car will not blow out hot air, which is a bugger in this weather. I checked that the fan was coming on at the correct temperature so that is ok but I suspeck some air lock. The last time I attempted a coolant change the same happened but a quick thrash and parking on a hill sorted it. Is there some alternative method of fixing this annoying little problem?

Thanks in advance everyone and I apologise if this has been covered before. Next time I should dig out the how to on coolant changes without the airlock.

Is ther water in the pipe that goes to the top of the radiator? Usually to get rid of any air in the system, I just squeeze that pipe over and over, with the lid on the expansion tank.

Hey Andy, thanks for the quick response.

Just been out to have a look and the pipe you speak of does have liquid in it. Gave it a few squeezes anyway just to make sure. Will know later for sure if it made any difference. Will keep you posted. Cheers,

Graeme

You must purge the air from the system with the heat lever on hot position.

Funny this topic! I have just replaced the same pipe with the same problem about 15min ago... LOL

You must purge the air from the system with the heat lever on hot position.

Funny this topic! I have just replaced the same pipe with the same problem about 15min ago... LOL

Makes no difference in a Corrado, Kongo... The hot air flap in a Corrado only controls the air through the heater matrix, the hot water always goes through it, so it doesn't matter which position the heater controls are in as you fill it... :wink:

The system was practically empty and it's had 2 bottles of G12+ in it and a wee bit of water. I did spot this today though

The pic (sorry about the quality) is of the left side of the block as you look at it. There appears to be oil seeping (tiny bit) out and running down. Oil level is ok but have had to top up coolant as the level has dropped. No visible coolant leak, everything that side seems ok. Have I done something wrong? I've not had the chance to take it out and get it warmed up again to see if it's working properly again. Will do it tommorow. Any other suggestions as to what I could do?

Is the cam cover gasget the cork-type stuff? (I am a total novice btw) No, not via top hose, I am quite silly. I've just read a couple of other posts and I'm starting to worry.

1- I think I might have too much G12+ in the system

2- Could my head gasket be totally tubbered?

Seems to be everything at once, 3 leaks, alternator is on it's last legs, now this!!!!

hopefully it'll be cheap and easy to sort.

Thanks again

cam cover gasket is rubber with metal inserts to stop you over-squashing it...

You should have no more than 50/50 G12+/water in the coolant system...

You head gasket could be knackered, but there's no evidence of it in this post... 8)

If your waterlevel is too low after another run, take off the top hose (once the engine's cooled down! :roll: ) and fill it up from there until it's just coming out. replace the top hose and top the expansion tank up. If you've only done the flange on the side of the head, you won't have lost too much of the water, and are unlikely to have a serious air lock in the block anywhere as the flange you replaced is higher up than the block and the coolant can't go UP to run out of the engine! ;) :lol:

Don't worry about it too much... keep an eye on it, replace the cam cover gasket (About £5 IIRC) and see if your heater starts working after a decent run out... 8)

If the heater doesn't work after a while I'd go with the bypass valves having failed when they dried out as you changed the coolant... I've heard this happen on quite a few cars now... :roll:

Well today I took her out a little spin. Couldn't drive her too hard as the fog up here is terrible, but the car seems to love the cold the fog brings. :twisted: Anyway, the heater is blowing out hot air now but it's not as hot as it usually is. It's an improvement at least. I'll keep my eye on the levels over the next couple of days and top it up if need be. Just out of interest, could someone point out the top hose for me :oops: just so I don't make an arse of it? Cheers for the encouraging posts 8) Need to order that bit from the stealer (part number anyone?) and get it sorted asap.

P.S Ian, so sorry to hear about J-DUB, she was a beast

Top hose is the hose which attaches to the top of the radiator... it's a big thick black rubber one which comes off the plastic flange on the front right of the head... 8)

P.S Ian, so sorry to hear about J-DUB, she was a beast

Thanks, but don't think she's dead just yet! ;) :twisted: