Sign in to follow this  
Joe M

VR Cam and valve spring questions and fitting

Are they the same betweem obd1 and obd2 engines? The same as in they fit between either, not profile.

I believe so but the end gear differs on OBD1 and 2 engines tho.... double sprocket & duplex chain on OBD1/Corrado and single sprocket and simplex chain on OBD2 (96 on I think). I don't think that has any bearing on how the cams fit in the bearings though, best check with Vince.

Just checked the schrick catalogue and they only list 1 set of 268 cams for the 12v vr6, so looks like im on to a winner.

Did you go for the uprated valve springs when you got yours fitted Kev?

Nah. I took Vince's advice on that one. He's never seen a broken standard spring when using 268s, just don't redline it too often - although that's hard as the 268s keep the engine pulling way past the red :)

Besides which, the Schrick springs are £200 and an extra 2 -3 hours labour.

You'll like the 268s with the VGI. The midrange is even stronger and the idle is unchanged. A very good cam.

P.S. The cams you need are 0268L91681-00 & 0268R1 681-00, well, that's what's written on my boxes anyway.

I reckon ill get the springs, with 4 trackdays this year and hopefully a lot more next I dont want to take any chances. I got a price on them from germany before and im sure it was nearer £75.

Cams are now on there way. :D

Im pretty confident about swapping them over myself, but not sure on changing the springs. Will I need to replace any other parts or is it a case of rocker cover and inlet gaskets then everything else swaps over?

you can't change the springs with the head on. not unles syou have an air comprssor and a special fitting to allow you to pressur eup the chamber to stop the valve falling in

take the head off an fit a mk4 12v or transporter vr6 headgeasket on there and bump up the compression a bit whilst you'r at it.

I was going to try and get a hold of the fitting as I have a decent sized compressor in work.

The head on my car has had a slight skim in the past when it was rebuilt 20k ago, would this be ok with the mk4 headgasket or would that bump up the compression a bit much / be a bit tight for clearance?

only if you're valses are seating right though.........and leaks, and it won't work.

as for the skimming issue, emasure the height of the head and I'll look it up in my russek manual (if I can still read it, a few pages of it have been soaking in oil for quite some time....)

Ok, ive got my valve springs here, just waiting on the cams. Ive just looked in the schrick catalogue and it says for the cams use schrick valve springs with 1mm washer. Question is, where does the washer go, just drop it over the valve under the spring?