Sign in to follow this  
vr6paul

getting hotter than usual- vr6

Hope you guys can help.

I posted about a whining noise the other day only to find that on my way to work the tensioner for the fan belt (power steering, water pump, alternator i think) snapped. Got all that replaced yesterday and now it is still getting hot very quick- eg 2.5k rpm brings up 100 degree oil temp when engine is under load. That was with my hot air blowing. Any adeas - is air lock a possibility or water pump knacked?

cheers

Paul

no on the mfa oil temp got to this when just sitting at 2.5k rpm. It does not usually get near that with that sort of driving also with hot air blowing into cabin.

The journey was only about 25mins long aswell.

am i just being paranoid or what?

no on the mfa oil temp got to this when just sitting at 2.5k rpm. It does not usually get near that with that sort of driving also with hot air blowing into cabin.

The journey was only about 25mins long aswell.

am i just being paranoid or what?

Yep, 100 oil temp is nothing really. I can get that drivein round town

A non aggressive 10-15min drive brings my oil upto about 100. Worst ive seen after pasting it round the country lanes is about 108. Wouldnt worry unless it gets over 118.

Mine probably errs on the cold side....92-94 on a normal run, 98-100 max sitting in traffic. Water varies from 85 to 100 depending on the same conditions.

Got a remote oil cooler on mine though :-P

ok guys just to confirm- gave the car a good 25 minute run using a fair amount of revs and the water temp got quickly to just above 90 and oil temp peaked at 110. Can i confirm that this is normal so i know new belt and everything around it is working fine.

thanks

Paul

Sounds OK to me.

Just for info....my VR was the same when I first got it at 73K. Water was OK but oil read 114 sitting at 80mph.....and remember the MFA temp is actually 10 degrees lower than actual sump temperature.

I wasn't happy with that temperature sitting on part throttle at 80 with loads of air flowing through the rad, so I fitted a remote oil cooler and it the temp sits at 96 (MFA) at 80 now, which is much more acceptable.

Definitely. The biggest killer of VR engines is excessive heat. 6 cylinders so close to eachother always was going to cause heat problems, especially in the Corrado's cramped engine bay but a Mocal helps considerably. Ease of fitment depends on your mechanical skills but I found it very easy and I no longer check the oil temp since fitting one, because I know it will be less than 100.

Cost is about £200 for the parts.

On the other hand, VW desgined the VR6 with the knowledge that it would be exported to extremely hot climates... As long as you're not doing stupid stuff it'll be fine. Of course, if you *want* to do track days all summer in 30 degree heat, an oil cooler is a good idea..

Though if you just want the peace of mind, 200 notes isn't that bad. But bear in mind VW aren't so stupid that they'd produce an engine that would genuinely grenade itself at the first sign of a sunny day and a traffic jam. My 2p, just to counterbalance Kev's -2p.. ;)

IMHO, £200 will buy you a lot of oil changes, so make your own mind up, based on your experiences of driving your own car. If you see oil temps constantly over 120 degrees, something's wrong (or you're doing 150mph in the sahara!!). And the Corrado guide book says not to worry unless it's over 140 degrees either, so modern oil is not too upset by this kind of treatment either.

my 16v was reaching 128 degrees which i wasn1t happy about... got a 13 row cooler from stealth for under £180 after fitting now have 94-100 whilst cruising and 110 if sitting in traffic

i`m happy with that and i think my car is too!

I'd be worried if my oil was 110 degrees while stationary in traffic. That kinda means it's hotter than the water.. Did you remove the OE oil/water heat exchanger?

like i said- all i got was 110 after a good thrash - no where near 120 and definelty not up around 140!!!!! Maybe just stick with oil changes every 6k or so as i have since buying it.