Sign in to follow this  
aks_uk

Quick question rebuild

Hi everyone, My C recently failed on me. I am getting the engine rebuilt at a local garage. They quoted me £300 for the work. Anyways, I need to get a complete Gasket kit, including all seals and gaskets needed for a rebuild. I need to know what this kit is actually called as I have looked on GSF website but can only see a 'cylinder head gasket set' for £38. Is this what I'm looking for, if not where can I get it?

Many Thanks

On top of a head set, you will need a sump gasket and 2 crankshaft oil seals. A full rebuild might include a set of piston rings, big end shells, main bearings a set of con rod bolts and nuts, oil pump. The list could go on and on.

I'd ask the garage for a bit of clarification as to how far they are going.

Gavin

Not sure if we do the piston rings but we definitely do the rest of the stuff.

Con-rod bolts won't be needed - the studs are embedded into the con-rods.. :wink: (they were on the last one that I did)

They have splines on them to make them an intereference fit. They can be knocked out. The Bentley states that they may be reused once on a G60 so I would think thats the same with a valver.

Gavin

Ahh - I knew they were stretch bolts on a G60 - the 16v ones looked like they were embedded....it was dark under the car though. :oops:

Ok, I will be visiting my local branch tomorrow. I should think that they'll know what I need, but will mention all of the above. Looks like it shouldn't cost that much in total. The guy at the garage got a quote for the gasket kit from his supplier, believe it or not, he quoted me £160 :shock: . I knew that good ol' GSF would quote me happy :D .......jus hope they have the stuff in stock :|