Sign in to follow this  
Johnboy98

arg... alternator belt keeps shredding!

Well its getting a bit pricey now at 30 quid a pop, ive changed the bearing (as per Phat Boy's stickie) and nothing appears to be out of place only when you look over the top of the pulleys the tensioner one sticks out a noticabley (towards air box) more than the alternator!

So it is feeding onto the alt pulley at a off centre angle and when the revs get up that belt wants to get off.

:roll: help!

The VW tensioner is now "only" £60.57+VAT, so if in doubt it would seem a good idea to fit one of those... It's the price of two belts, after all...

They should be in-line (as I'm sure you're aware!).

The plot thicken's, well she's trued up better but on closer inspection of the alternator pulley wheel its only got 6 channels machined into it pretty damn perculiar considering the rest of the pulleys have 7 and ive been running it like that for the past 3 years with no probs to speak of!

My alernator was replaced by a Euro Car Parts jobby 3 years back anyone else running a 6 slot pulley?

Sounds like the springs in the tensioner have gone. At idle, look at the alignment arrow on the tensioner and make sure it's not flapping about.

My alternator bracket broke on the lorry after the nut and bolt was worn and vibrating therefore causeing the belt to be thrown after it being shredded.. :|

Edit:cos Im crap at spelling