Sign in to follow this  
NG

starting problems

Since buying my 16v 8 weeks ago I have had starting problems. It starts in the morning with out a problem. After the car has been driven for about 20 minutes and parked up and I come back to start the car it doesnt start. The 3 red lights come on the dashboard and usual, then try to start and nothing happens, but the funny thing is that u can push start the car

I have changed the start motor, ignistion switch and taken the imo out,

can any one help??

you can hear the fuel going to the back when the key is at stage 2 which is usaul and then u turn the key to the last stage and nothing happens at all, u dont hear anything and the car does not try to do anything!!

but you can push start the car

HELP!!!!

do you get a quiet click and slight dimming of inst lights when fully turning the key? If so the solenoid is not travelling fully into position thus not making the internal connection to the main power. This is usually caused by worn teeth on either the motor or flywheel. Rocking the car in gear sometimes workes to move the flywheel a bit. I see you changed your motor. I changed mine on a VR6 and cured the problem, though did it twice so far after, wiggling the exciter wire remade the connection. Good luck!!

no quiet click or slight dimming, i think, ill check the next time it happens,

Any other ideas??

Please

I now it's been a while since this post has been looked at but has there been any developments. My G60 has the same problem. I changed the ignition switch after looking at other posts. It did improve the situation but has not completely solved the issue.

i've just had similar problems on my g60, auto electrician tested the battery and alternator and everything seemed fine but it still wouldn't start sometimes. He then put in a new wire between the alternator and battery and everything seems fine now, must've been a worn wire!

It could also be a dodgy starter motor... Once it gets hot the solenoid is failing/not activating properly and so you can't start the engine off the key. Try connecting a wire directly from the + on the battery to the thin wire onto the solenoid (MAKE SURE THE CAR IS NOT IN GEAR!) this effectively forces the solenoid to fire which should activate the starter motor. If this works, then you have a wiring fault or another dodgy ignition switch. If it doesn't, you have a dead solenoid. 8)

Had this problem with my valver a while ago do a search with my name!

after trying new ignition switch and starter i traced it to be the live feed wire to the starter!

Try putting an ampmeter to the starter motor end of the positive lead and wiggling it to see if the voltage jumps up and down....

new positive lead from the stealers was a ludicrous £37 :mad: