Sign in to follow this  
swfblade

Changing chip on G60

HI all, Im having problems changing the ECU Chip on my G60.

Ive had a quick read of 2 how to's, but cant really work out what they mean. The one on sns's site hasnt got the piccies, which is a shame coz with em i could prolly do it.

What I cant do is this. They say to remove the black plastic filter thing on passenger side of car, but i cant work out how to get it off. I also cant unplug the wires to the ECU, but i assume that that is easier once the black plastic filter thing is removed. Can anyone help out here? Or even better post up some how to piccies?

cheers

the ECU cable has a screw in it to stop the multiplug falling out... You probably won't be able to get the screw out until you've got the ECU out of the scuttle tray area... ;)

As far as I remember from doing it on my G60, you undo a nut at one end of the metal piece that the ECU is bolted onto. This then allows the whole thing to slide over to one side and release off the pegs which hold it in. You can then pull some of the wiring loom back into the scuttle area to move the ECU enough so that you can undo the screw through the multiplug...

The black plastic cover is pretty easy to get off... if you grab hold of the rubber seal which runs along the engine bay side of the scuttle and pull it up, it'll come off. Under that there's some metal clamps over the plastic cover which you need to lever up with a flat blade screwdriver to release...

All of this is from memory, and I did it about 8 months ago, so there may be a few bits I've mis-remembered, but I DO remember it wasn't too difficult to do... 8)

Henny has pretty much already summarised it, but just in case you've got a slightly differnet variety of air-intake cover and ECU-cable connector:

On my Rado, once you've lifted the plastic scuttle tray cover and bent it towards the windscreen the black plastic meshed filter cover assembly over the air-intake has a little plastic slider right next to the wing. Sliding this slider towards the wing will just reveal enough of a large diameter hole, so you can move the whole plastic cover aseembly towards the wing, and then lift it out.

The ECU cable on my Rado just has a spring release mechanism on the side of the plug closest to the engine bay. Once this has been undone, you rotate the plug out towards the firewall, and ultimately it'll come off the ECU. Be very careful when moving the big cable and plug aside, as you then carry on with the taking the ECU out (as the cable cannot take that much strain, quite a few signal wires going through). Henny's right in that closest to the olug end of the ECU there is a locking nut, that once undone, allows you to slide the ECU and bracket that it is mounted on towards the off-side wing. Getting it out of the scuttle area, passed the cable + plug is a bit fiddly, especially as you don't want to scratch the paint. Getting it back in again is also a lot of fun :lol:

Tempest

Thanks guys. Managed to do it no problem in the end. The clip that holds the air intake on was slightly bent, so it just took a bit of force.

Im actually surprised at how much difference just a chip makes!! The engine is much smoother, and pulls progressivly right thru the revs! Doing the pully tomorrow......65mm, cant wait :mrgreen:

cant get the soddin bolt off the pully now :s

got a good grip on the pully, but cant undo the bolt, too tight......perhaps i need more leverage.

and a good 24hr soak of something like wd40 or equivalent (there are much more effective solutions than wd40 out there)...

cant get the soddin bolt off the pully now :s

got a good grip on the pully, but cant undo the bolt, too tight......perhaps i need more leverage.

Wrap the drive belt around it and hold it with some big channel locks or grip the free ends with molegrips. Obviously you'll need a new belt afterwards.

Try heating with a hot air gun too. That might help.

Gavin

thnx guys, managed to do it now.

Right, next. I gotta get the power steering pump losened off now. Ive had a quick look, but im not 100% sure which bolts to undo. Im gonna see if I can get hold of a Haynes for Golf or summit, to make sure im undoing the right ones!! LOL! :lol:

yup, MKII golf or Passat (88-92) will sort you out for the P/S pump instructions... 8)

ok ive borrowed one (golf), but its a little unclear as to which bolts to undo. Any pointers?

(Man, Im being such a pleb 2day..... :oops: )

I think there are 2, 13mm bolts that stop it rotating plus the adjuster. One bolt is easy to see, the other is tucked out of sight!!!!

Gavin

many thnx again. just finished. needed to hit it wiv hammer, coz it was a bit tight!! now, im off out to have a bit of fun :mrgreen:

oh hell yeah!!

Im going to need to take shares out in Shell and Toyo tho!! Im eating my way thru petrol and tyres :lol: hehehe Never before have I been able to spin the wheels in 3rd @ 60mph :shock: