Sign in to follow this  
Nik Patel

16v head rebuild?

i think my oil valve stem seals are gone as i get alot of black smoke when i drive my car hard, but when driving normal its ok, also i can smell burnt fuel and have to top up oil regualary but there are no oil leaks

wot else should i change when changing the oil valve stem seals? i was thinking of definately changing the rocker gasket and the tappets as they are noisy

cheers

Check out thread in servicing section - same title. Did some of it recently myself. Any questions you can PM me.

Might do timing belt too, when you've gone that far......

i got the timing belt done about 1,000 miles ago

how much am i looking at to change the oil stem valve seals and tappets?

Black smoke indicates over fuelling, blue smoke comes from burnt oil and it stinks too. If you can smell burnt fuel, i.e. exhaust fumes in the car, get the exhaust checked as breathing in carbon monoxide is lethal.

16Vs and VR6s use a fair amount of oil, up to 1 litre per 1000 miles but most engines use far less than that. That's just the max VW quote to cover their backs.

You can change the stem seals and lifters with the head in situ but if the valve guides are worn, their is little point and you'll have to lift the head to replace those.

Kev

94 VR6